2D sketcch 800KM by 400KM

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Joshua Nicoll

2D sketcch 800KM by 400KM

Post by Joshua Nicoll »

I'm not quite sure what I did, but for some reason my sketch is super zoomed out, to the point that working on it is very difficult. I'm not sure what I did to get the sketch to zoom so far out, or if it's a bug or something. I included a screenshot of the viewing dimensions and the actual file itself. Anyone have any idea how to fox this?
Attachments
revised hold down.FCStd
(8.39 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Screenshot (79).png
Screenshot (79).png (14.02 KiB) Viewed 735 times
meme2704
Veteran

Re: 2D sketcch 800KM by 400KM

Post by meme2704 »

Hi
Pay attention when creating such a big sketch not to create a black hole, and fall in :lol:
More serious, I do not see any fatal error, except some remarks
-use constraints = eg dia 2.5 holes, and center distances
-by doing the cleaning, I find a dozen point unnecessary
-8 holes intersect 2x2, this prevents you from doing the protrusion
Attachments
plaqueàtrou.PNG
plaqueàtrou.PNG (28.46 KiB) Viewed 728 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello Joshua,

Welcome here.

Joshua Nicoll wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:32 pm I'm not quite sure what I did, but for some reason my sketch is super zoomed out, to the point that working on it is very difficult. I'm not sure what I did to get the sketch to zoom so far out, or if it's a bug or something.
The fix is simple, really: click on the Image Fit all icon to fit the whole content (your sketch) to the screen.

I have an idea how it could have happened, because when I started with FreeCAD years ago, it kept happening to me too: your navigation style is set to CAD, as shown in the lower border of the FreeCAD window. To rotate the 3D view in this mode, you need to hold the mouse scroll wheel down, then press either the left or mouse button. I was having a lot of trouble doing that: my middle finder holding the scroll wheel would slip, and I would inadvertently scroll the wheel, which zoomed the view far, far out in a second! Man that was frustrating! But I kept with the CAD style and got used to it, because there were only two navigation styles back then, CAD and OpenInventor, and the latter needed use of CTRL key to select, which I didn't like.

But now FreeCAD comes with 8 different mouse navigation styles. You can switch to a different one with the Navigation Indicator at the bottom window border, it works as a button that brings up a menu. If you hover your mouse over the button, a graphic will appear that shows how to use the style.

After years of using CAD, I switched to Gesture a couple of months ago, and I quite like it.

Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

use the zoom to fit all icon Image

Also your sketch is basically symmetric you could just model 1/4 of it and use an array/ array feature.

HTH Steve
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Bance wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:23 pm use the zoom to fit all icon Image
I already wrote that before you.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

I do not know if you test, but, when I zoom everything, I'm still 100.66km, in my 2sd test, and I'm blocking there :mrgreen:
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Quickdraw! :lol: