BIM Workbench

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: BIM Workbench

Post by yorik »

Yes I agree that each BIM object needs the possibility to have its own class. Later on we see how to manage all this efficiently.

I have implemented that yesterday, they now all have a "StandardCode" property. At the moment youcan just set that property manually to anything you want, but I'm adapting the classification tool in BIM WB to work with that as well.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

Today I saw a new update of the BIM Workbench with a new copy button and I was wondering... isn't it a bit confuse so many copy options? Especially when they are present in the same WB

Crt-C / Crt-V
Move (with copy option)
Copy (new)
Create simple copy
Clone
Utility > Clone component

Some of them have a different outlet: Crt-C/Crt-V creates a parametric copy. Copy creates a nonparametric object...
It is necessary a guide to explain the differences between all of them...
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Don't forget this is all experimental, so the more options the better, at the moment.The copy tool is exactly the move with copy mode on. Just an experiment to see if it isn't better, but since it's there i've been using it surprisingly a lot...

But I agree with you there should be an explanation somewhere of the different copy modes available...
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

yorik wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:07 pm The copy tool is exactly the move with copy mode on. Just an experiment to see if it isn't better, but since it's there i've been using it surprisingly a lot...
Yea. But I notice that if you use the new copy tool, when you switch to Arch Move tool, the copy mode of this panel is ticked on. So I have to tick it off each time during moving operations.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

bitacovir wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:45 amYea. But I notice that if you use the new copy tool, when you switch to Arch Move tool, the copy mode of this panel is ticked on. So I have to tick it off each time during moving operations.
You have Draft option "Global copy mode" turned on probably. I know all this is not well documented enough...
alex_V

Post by alex_V »

yorik wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:37 pm
joancabeza wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:12 am Just a question: There's a possibility to classify not only materials but elements too?
Yes that's a question I'm thinking to as well. But there is the problem that it wouldn't be very practical if you need to attribute manually a category for every single element of your model. The same goes for "generic" properties that you would want to, for example, add to all objects of a certain type.

We could create additional objects to store these things, but then before long your model tree will become insanely complex. There is also the problem that updating the tree is one of the slowest areas of FreeCAD, we want to be cautious in not adding unnecessary stuff there.

At the moment my "best" idea is to use materials for everything: the material data itself, but also the classification, and additional ifc properties that you would want to apply to all objects that use that material.

Of course that means that for example you will need two copies of a same material, if they have some property that is different (ex. One concrete with standard number 01 03 13 19 and another identical one with standard 01 03 13 20). So what I am implementing now is the ability for materials to inherit: You would have one concrete material, and two other materials that have the concrete as parent, and then just specify the standard number. All other properties would be inherited from the parent material.

But maybe the best of the two worlds would be, even so, to let individual objects override the standard classification. So you would be able to use the above mechanism, but override for single objects if needed. How does that sound?
Hi Yorik I encounter a problem in the Classification Manager, It doesn't load the XML (at least in my computer), I solved this by changing the presetdir to:

Code: Select all

presetdir =  os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__), "Classification")
and preset :

preset = os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__), "Classification",system+".xml")
I don't know if this will affect the behaviour of the tool.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

alex_V wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:17 pm Hi Yorik I encounter a problem in the Classification Manager, It doesn't load the XML (at least in my computer), I solved this by changing the presetdir to:

presetdir = os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__), "Classification")

and preset :

preset = os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__), "Classification",system+".xml")

It's like that already... Maybe you are using an older version? The BIM WB changes often :)
alex_V

Post by alex_V »

yorik wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:18 pm
alex_V wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:17 pm Hi Yorik I encounter a problem in the Classification Manager, It doesn't load the XML (at least in my computer), I solved this by changing the presetdir to:

presetdir = os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__), "Classification")

and preset :

It's like that already... Maybe you are using an older version? The BIM WB changes often :)
Thanks Yorik, I'm using addon manager, maybe I need to delete and download BIM WB again. :?:
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

You can update via the addon manager, just press the install/update button
alex_V

Post by alex_V »

yorik wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:55 pm You can update via the addon manager, just press the install/update button
I might be doing something wrong, I did that and had the same problem, I went to https://github.com/yorikvanhavre/BIM_Workbench and check the BimClassification.py and in the line 87 you have:

presetdir = os.path.join(FreeCAD.getUserAppDataDir(),"BIM","Classification")
when it should be:

presetdir = os.path.join(FreeCAD.getUserAppDataDir(),"Mod","BIM","Classification")
The same goes for preset. I downloaded a wrong version :?: