Defeaturing Tools: how to edit a STEP model (parametrically)

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Re: Defeaturing Tools: first attempt (how to edit a STEP model)

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

saso wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:03 pm How do you feel about the other ideas? IMO they could be simple to use but quite powerful.
Such tools are on my wishlist. I told this many times here in the forum, but we need someone to program it.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Hi Maurice,
I explored some defeaturing-wb.
Great to have a edge copy tool. But it's not parametric. Please check if it's possible to create it parametric.
What about edge offset. Please can you explain how to use.
Thank you so much for your creat work.
Best regards
Wilfried
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:10 am
saso wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:03 pm How do you feel about the other ideas? IMO they could be simple to use but quite powerful.
Such tools are on my wishlist. I told this many times here in the forum, but we need someone to program it.
I know, but things can be implemented in different ways. Some ways can be quite easy for developers to do but also quite useless for the different users, some ways can require more work from the developers but can also be quite useless for the different users and as you probably know from my arguments on other tools I strongly dislike this and I am always searching and trying to find good and proper ways to do things. Werner can probably implement some of this ideas with closed eyes, but it can be very helpful for him and other developers if we can have a good and quite exact specification on how it should be done and agree on it.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

I am very open in how such tools can be useable. That means that I'm not saying this tool should look and feel like a Creo tool. Freecad sometimes is very different, but I like it very much.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Hi Wilfried
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:23 am By the way a edge chain / set selecting tool is also missing. The path-workbench has such a tool, but it's not working in other workbenches, I don't know why:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 38#p215938
1. I have added the nice Path Loop Edge to my WB (thanks to @sliptonic for this nice tool)
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:58 am Hi Maurice,
I explored some defeaturing-wb.
Great to have a edge copy tool. But it's not parametric. Please check if it's possible to create it parametric.
What about edge offset. Please can you explain how to use.
Thank you so much for your creat work.
Best regards
Wilfried
2. Edge and Face can be copied and translated by an offset. The offset can be assigned in the middle text box. Over it to get the tooltip
offset-edges-faces.png
offset-edges-faces.png (51.15 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

easyw-fc wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:50 pm 1. I have added the nice Path Loop Edge to my WB (thanks to @sliptonic for this nice tool)
I upgraded the defeaturing workbench tried this tool, but it does not work. If I change into the path workbench, it work without problem.
easyw-fc wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:50 pm 2. Edge and Face can be copied and translated by an offset. The offset can be assigned in the middle text box. Over it to get the tooltip
offset-edges-faces.png
I copied faces, changed a sketch from an extrusion, but the copied faces are not parametric. Same with edges.

Anyhow, thank you so much for your great work.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:53 pm
easyw-fc wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:50 pm 1. I have added the nice Path Loop Edge to my WB (thanks to @sliptonic for this nice tool)
I upgraded the defeaturing workbench tried this tool, but it does not work. If I change into the path workbench, it work without problem.
my bad, please update the tools again... now it should be fine
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:53 pm
easyw-fc wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:50 pm 2. Edge and Face can be copied and translated by an offset. The offset can be assigned in the middle text box. Over it to get the tooltip
offset-edges-faces.png
I copied faces, changed a sketch from an extrusion, but the copied faces are not parametric. Same with edges.
Offset is not parametric ATM, I will have a look at later on.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Hi Maurice,
after upgrade the workbench everything is fine with the Loop Edge tool.
Concerning edges or surface copy, Lattice2 sublink can do the job, full parametric.
And in the part workbench 2d or 3d offset tool is full parametric.
Best regards
Wilfried
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

wmayer wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:48 pm
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:47 pm My new video concerning the new defeaturing tool from the Part workbench:
https://peertube.mastodon.host/videos/w ... d8e6783872

I tried to use PeerTube, not bad for the first test.
The video is in German language.
The face selection panel is fixed now, i.e. the label no longer "explodes" when too many items are selected.
And there is now a stand-alone command for box selection of faces (see Part menu). This is a WIP and the long-term goal is marry its functionalities with the box selection of the core system (see Edit menu).
Hi Werner,
my newest dailybuild is:

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.14220 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 1d81fd66b84af9ef8330ba1f1f6d1c5d6443f0c4
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
In which Freecad version the new features will be integrated?
Best regards
Wilfried
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

In which Freecad version the new features will be integrated?
It must be in +/- 0.18.14224