Can I ask for a Chinese forum and do some translation work in wiki?

Chinese forum

Moderator: paullee

Forum rules
论坛规矩 / 論壇規矩 , 有用的资讯 / 有用的資訊
重要:寻求帮助之前,请先看看这里 /
重要:尋求幫助之前,請先看看這裡

另外,对论坛用户 友善!阅读FreeCAD 行为准则!
/ 另外,對論壇用戶 友善! 閱讀FreeCAD
行為準則
Johnquicker

Can I ask for a Chinese forum and do some translation work in wiki?

Post by Johnquicker »

Hello FreeCAD world!

Firstly, I would like to do some Chinese translation work on FreeCAD's wiki, so here I am asking for the permission for email personal application.

Secondly, in Chinese websites, there are a few courses and discussions about FreeCAD. Can we have a channel here, in the case someone like me coming here who want to meet some local friends?

PS: I am a newbie in python, having finished MITx6.00 Intro to Computer Programming series on edX just now. I graduate with a master degree in ME, and worked as a designer for three years, assembly man for three years, and measure equipment salesman for one year. I hope to learn some best practices from CS world and bring them back to mechanical equipment business.
So, here I am.
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Can I ask for a Chinese forum and do some translation work in wiki?

Post by wandererfan »

Johnquicker wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:32 am Firstly, I would like to do some Chinese translation work on FreeCAD's wiki, so here I am asking for the permission for email personal application.
How to get wiki editing permission:
https://www.forum.freecadweb.org/viewto ... =21&t=6830

You'll have to wait for a Wiki moderator to get Chinese forum set up.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Support both Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese ?
Johnquicker

Post by Johnquicker »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:28 pm
How to get wiki editing permission:
https://www.forum.freecadweb.org/viewto ... =21&t=6830

You'll have to wait for a Wiki moderator to get Chinese forum set up.
OK, I shall follow the steps in that posts, thanks.

And about the Chinese forum, I hope we have one, where we can leave some notes in Chinese, in case that newbies like me come around. When I came here a few years ago, I hope I can find what you are interested in and what you guys are doing in a glance.
Johnquicker

Post by Johnquicker »

paullee wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:18 pm Support both Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese ?
Hello, Lee

I don't know what people outside the mainland feel when they see simplified Chinese. I am all right reading Traditional Chinese books and posts.

In my opinion, one Chinese forum is better than nothing, and also better than two, supporting Chinese people all around the world.

By the way, for FC wiki's translation, I noticed that there are two versions for both simplified Chinese and traditional Chinese. I think that's fine. As for tech book, I would like to buy traditional Chinese translation on Amazon, for most of them is done more seriously than simplified Chinese version.

曲政
2018-08-16 10:16:33
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

For produced translations in the wiki, simplified vs traditional is a distinction worth making since, ultimately, if there's enough translation work, we can provide a freecad-doc-zh-tw/zh-cn package with in-program help using the right character set.

For the forum, though, I think both in one forum should be fine. My Chinese level is quite poor but generally I can recognize when I don't recognize a character because it's a traditional form. So long as people who prefer one or the other are OK with people posting their replies in their own preferred character set, it shouldn't be all *that* much of a barrier to communication.

I have a few other administrative things on my backlog now that GSoC has ended but I'm interested in getting the forum created hopefully within the next week or so.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Good to know peoples do read Traditional and Simplified Chinese and they are both supported in same forum.

Can't wait to see the 1st post :)
Johnquicker

Post by Johnquicker »

kkremitzki wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:56 am For produced translations in the wiki, simplified vs traditional is a distinction worth making since, ultimately, if there's enough translation work, we can provide a freecad-doc-zh-tw/zh-cn package with in-program help using the right character set.

For the forum, though, I think both in one forum should be fine. My Chinese level is quite poor but generally I can recognize when I don't recognize a character because it's a traditional form. So long as people who prefer one or the other are OK with people posting their replies in their own preferred character set, it shouldn't be all *that* much of a barrier to communication.

I have a few other administrative things on my backlog now that GSoC has ended but I'm interested in getting the forum created hopefully within the next week or so.
Yes, "character sets", this is the key point in distinguishing simplified and traditional Chinese. I haven't thought of it. Thanks.

By the way, have you just completed the work in GSoC? Still excited, or almost exhausted? I hope I can join this kind of hands-on activities once in my life. I went to Google Developer Day 2017 in Shanghai, and enjoyed the talks, techs, Android Things Kits, and also the cookies and gifts.

You can read Chinese, then have you got a Chinese name for yourself?
Johnquicker

Post by Johnquicker »

paullee wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:58 pm Good to know peoples do read Traditional and Simplified Chinese and they are both supported in same forum.

Can't wait to see the 1st post :)
Haven't you discussed it before?

Excuse me, I have just searched the forum for this topic just now. I am too eager to post my first word. I'm sorry for that.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Johnquicker wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:29 am
kkremitzki wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:56 am For produced translations in the wiki, simplified vs traditional is a distinction worth making since, ultimately, if there's enough translation work, we can provide a freecad-doc-zh-tw/zh-cn package with in-program help using the right character set.

Yes, "character sets", this is the key point in distinguishing simplified and traditional Chinese. I haven't thought of it. Thanks.

By the way, have you just completed the work in GSoC? Still excited, or almost exhausted? I hope I can join this kind of hands-on activities once in my life. I went to Google Developer Day 2017 in Shanghai, and enjoyed the talks, techs, Android Things Kits, and also the cookies and gifts.
Definitely still excited since, by the time it was over, I had gotten pretty competent at Debian packaging, and now it's just more of the same until we get a Python 3 & Qt 5 release. Mainly, I want the good record of GSoC projects to continue. Last year we had several projects going but this year it was only me. That means we need to get the word out more, and earlier.
You can read Chinese, then have you got a Chinese name for yourself?
Hah, I do. 武克特. I picked 武 because I like 武術 and my actual surname Kremitzki is fairly hopeless for native Chinese speakers.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.