Add slots/tabs to parts

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mumf83

Add slots/tabs to parts

Post by mumf83 »

I want to add 'tabs' to a part which interlocks with slots in the side part. How would you add tabs to the side of a part so it can slot into/on the side part. You'll see from the attachment that I want to add tabs to the green part and then slots into the yellow part. The green part will have 2 tabs on both sides (4 in total) 10mm long and positioned 10mm starting from the top and bottom.
Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 15.40.10.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 15.40.10.png (219.58 KiB) Viewed 864 times
freedman
Veteran

Re: Add slots/tabs to parts

Post by freedman »

Not really sure what to say if you have drawn this. To do what you want is to change the Sketch in both cases.
mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

The green part isn't a sketch. Can it be converted to a sketch?
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

You can post your file but I get it, the Green part is a pad off of the yellow part. I would click on the face of the Green part and create a Datum plane, then sketch on the plane your tabs, pad those. You could do the same to Yellow parts and pocket where the tabs are. I'm not really sure what connects to what so I hope that works.
mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

Ok. I'm starting to think that everything needs to start as a sketch as this seems to be much easier when modifying parts, etc.

There appears to be a lot of bugs on a MAC machine specially when using a retina screen. Sketches just disappear when zooming in or out as well as a continuous flashing, I can't always get it to repeat though. Also, Freecad will crash and quit when trying to create a Datum Plane... Can you confirm what platform the Developers use when they do there programming / tests? From the documentation it looks to be Ubuntu.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mumf83 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:44 pm There appears to be a lot of bugs on a MAC machine specially when using a retina screen.
We have seen previously problems with the retina screen. In general FreeCAD works without any problems. Which version of FreeCAD do you use? Please attach your FreeCAD info; the IMPORTANT: ... link above tells you how to do so.

I use:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.13457 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 171e652)
Hash: 171e65204796acfa2d3ad31662dc8180b20f80c0
Python version: 2.7.15
Qt version: 5.11.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Can you confirm what platform the Developers use when they do there programming / tests? From the documentation it looks to be Ubuntu.
The documentation reflects what the users use, who have created the documentation. That's here not necessarily the developers. Many around here use in fact Ubuntu, because they like open software.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.