appimage

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: appimage

Post by chrisb »

Recent questions here suggest we should have something like this for windows too.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

triplus wrote:Note that for Conda based AppImage support for delta updates got added:
Wow, this is a great achievement!
chrisb wrote:Recent questions here suggest we should have something like this for windows too.
Is there an alternative to appimage for windows?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

looo wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:48 am Is there an alternative to appimage for windows?
I'm afraid no. But windows hasn't a package mechanism like Debian based systems with dependencies, so I assumed that the windows version of FreeCAD was already self contained.

Independent of the packaging, what I meant was a more automated update mechanism for FreeCAD.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

chrisb wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:26 am I'm afraid no. But windows hasn't a package mechanism like Debian based systems with dependencies, so I assumed that the windows version of FreeCAD was already self contained.
With conda we have a packagemanager. Now we only need an alternative to appimage to create bundles... Using a package-manager seems to be too difficult for people who are only interested in freecad.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

There actually is FOSS framework available to achieve something like that. It is called Sparkle (macOS) and WinSparkle (Windows). AppImage approach is similar. There is one problem (in addition to implementing support) as Sparkle doesn't support GitHub (releases API). And therefore we would need to provide download files from HTTPS server.

P.S. I noticed if the AppImage delta update process gets canceled or interrupted (network issues). It will continue from that point on in the next try (and won't start again from scratch).
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Thanks for sharing. Looks good.

I am still not sure how to create daily build with conda. I saw numba does this with updating the build number and uploading automatically to anaconda. I think this could also be done for freecad, but it would be nice to not store more than 10 builds... I am not sure if it's possible to delete packages with anaconda-client in an automatic way.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

To be honest ATM i don't have any experience with Conda and no understanding of the process involved regarding how the Conda packages get build. As for tackling the version information i responded here:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p248955
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Note that i added delta updates support for daily PPA based AppImage two weeks back. PPA wasn't updated and i couldn't test if it works. Therefore i waited with the announcement to do that first. By following the same instructions:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p247818

Updating two weeks old AppImage (22MB):

Code: Select all

zsync2: Usable data from seed files: 90,275369%
zsync2: used 213237760 local, fetched 22969416
Updating one day old AppImage (11MB):

Code: Select all

zsync2: Usable data from seed files: 95,236526%
zsync2: used 224956416 local, fetched 11250760
P.S. This option will likely prove to be useful for people on a limited bandwidth.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:16 pm Note that i added delta updates support for daily PPA based AppImage two weeks back. PPA wasn't updated and i couldn't test if it works. Therefore i waited with the announcement to do that first
@triplus can you make a post like this https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p247818
That I can cut and paste to the releases page (You can use mark-down)

I need to test this, seems ideal.
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @sgrogan

Will do (on Saturday).