Tutorial : Introduction to mechanical engineering with FreeCAD

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jpg87

Tutorial : Introduction to mechanical engineering with FreeCAD

Post by jpg87 »

Hello,
I did not manage to do what I want with the Wiki.
So I decided to use my knowledge of HTML (old!) To create a website for beginners in Mechanical Engineering.
This site is not finished yet, but I posted a number of pages (in english) to the address
http://www.help-freecad-jpg87.fr/
If you have any comments, thank you in advance for making the post via this forum on FreeCAD.
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Tutorial : Introduction to mechanical engineering with FreeCAD

Post by chrisb »

I didn't have much time, but it looks good. I like this overview page http://www.help-freecad-jpg87.fr/011_pi ... eation.php very much with the tools and corresponding samples. A minor point concerning that page: For Pad and pocket I would use something like the hole sample with a rectangular or slot like pocket.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

Very good, thanks. :)

But I would add a detail: Global mirror needs two operations: part mirror and part fuse, without the last step, you get two bodies, not one.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
oddtopus

Post by oddtopus »

I appreciate most the clear design of the website, made like a slides presentation.
Readable and not confusing.
Thanks a lot. :P
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

chrisb wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:46 pm For Pad and pocket I would use something like the hole sample with a rectangular or slot like pocket.
I'm not sure if I understand: can you attach a sketch, please?

Joyas wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:52 am But I would add a detail: Global mirror needs two operations: part mirror and part fuse, without the last step, you get two bodies, not one.
This is expected: this will happen in the development of the last step of the example "Chassis".

oddtopus wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:29 pm I appreciate most the clear design of the website, made like a slides presentation.
Readable and not confusing.
Thank you. This is part of the constraints that I give myself: a screen page for each step.

To be continued ...
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

jpg87 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:36 pm If you have any comments, thank you in advance for making the post via this forum on FreeCAD.
I didn't study it extensively, but so far it looks good. Just a few comments / suggestions:

After using the Next button I wanted to see it on every page, and having a Next button on each page could help the user travel through the material in the way you intended.

In the image below, the second "s" in the words "substractive" are incorrect (should read "subtractive"):
20180816b.png
20180816b.png (102.69 KiB) Viewed 10619 times
Also regarding the image above, it might help a new user better understand the tools if there were separate animations for Pocket, Groove, and Subtractive Loft

In the image below, instead of "plan" should it read "plane"?
20180816a.png
20180816a.png (62.24 KiB) Viewed 10619 times
Just my 2 cents worth...
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

bejant wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:22 am I didn't study it extensively, but so far it looks good. Just a few comments / suggestions:
Thank you for your comments : I rectified.

bejant wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:22 am After using the Next button I wanted to see it on every page, and having a Next button on each page could help the user travel through the material in the way you intended.
On the pages where there are the graphs, it is the steps of the graphs that must be clicked : in reality it is a single html page with layers that appear or not. I'll see what I can do ...
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Nice website. Camping here for update.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jpg87 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:45 am
chrisb wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:46 pm For Pad and pocket I would use something like the hole sample with a rectangular or slot like pocket.
I'm not sure if I understand: can you attach a sketch, please?
I was thinking about something like the image below, which is a more common sample for a pocket. But I have to confess that I had not realized that the images are animated. The animation shows clearly that it's a pad and not some compound of revolution, hole, ...
Perhaps it is nevertheless sensible to have an image that works without the animation.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2018-08-19 um 20.14.00.png
Bildschirmfoto 2018-08-19 um 20.14.00.png (10.81 KiB) Viewed 10468 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

chrisb wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:17 pm I was thinking about something like the image below, which is a more common sample for a pocket.
I will come back to these images later to add Pocket and Groove.

Example 3 (chassis) has been updated.