Flycutter Facing

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dubstar-04

Flycutter Facing

Post by dubstar-04 »

I am trying to setup a facing operation using a flycutter, However I can't seem to get the tool path I would like (File attached).

This is the tool path using a 6mm Endmill:
Facing-6mmRougher.png
Facing-6mmRougher.png (313.51 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
Tool path using a 70mm diameter flycutter:
Facing-Flycutter.png
Facing-Flycutter.png (261.2 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
Tool Library:
ToolLibrary.png
ToolLibrary.png (76.46 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
What I would like is the tool to lead in from the y direction and move across the part in a single move. I'm guessing that I am having trouble as the tool is a larger diameter than the part width?

FreeCAD Info:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.14016 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 5f63f9f23f10640b613cd894ed529eaf69a04aec
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
Attachments
TortureTest2.FCStd
(658.88 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
mlampert
Veteran

Re: Flycutter Facing

Post by mlampert »

dubstar-04 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:57 am What I would like is the tool to lead in from the y direction and move across the part in a single move. I'm guessing that I am having trouble as the tool is a larger diameter than the part width?
That's correct, PathArea doesn't generate a Path if the tool doesn't fit inside the area to be processed. Also, PathArea doesn't generate single sweeps, it needs to make a loop.

Edit: What you can do is make Stock bigger than the tool and use Stock as the boundary for MillFacing
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

mlampert wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:42 pm
dubstar-04 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:57 am What I would like is the tool to lead in from the y direction and move across the part in a single move. I'm guessing that I am having trouble as the tool is a larger diameter than the part width?
That's correct, PathArea doesn't generate a Path if the tool doesn't fit inside the area to be processed. Also, PathArea doesn't generate single sweeps, it needs to make a loop.

Edit: What you can do is make Stock bigger than the tool and use Stock as the boundary for MillFacing
Thanks for the reply. Changing the stock doesn't seem like a very elegant solution.

IMO this should just work like it does for smaller tools. I would of though that facing with a flycutter is pretty common practice.

Is it worth filing a bug for this?
cahlfors

Post by cahlfors »

It is not a bug - just missing functionality. For now, we have to accept it. I think I have seen a feature request for that or something similar.
If redefining the stock is not a good solution for you, you could create a helper object instead. In this case, just a slab with the necessary width to let you generate a path for your flycutter. It will not generate the single pass you desire, but it will get the job done. It is the same issue with face mills.
electrical engineer
Ubuntu or Mint
Mendel 3d-printer/OctoPrint
LinuxCNC
Optimum BF20L mill
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

dubstar-04 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:06 pm Thanks for the reply. Changing the stock doesn't seem like a very elegant solution.

IMO this should just work like it does for smaller tools. I would of though that facing with a flycutter is pretty common practice.

I wasn't aiming at elegant, my bar was as low as "is it possible". I agree about your comments and I think you should enter an issue as a feature request - so we don't forget about it.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

mlampert wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:01 pm
dubstar-04 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:06 pm Thanks for the reply. Changing the stock doesn't seem like a very elegant solution.

I wasn't aiming at elegant, my bar was as low as "is it possible". I agree about your comments and I think you should enter an issue as a feature request - so we don't forget about it.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I understand your perspective, TBH coding single pass facing ops would be simple enough by hand so that would probably be my approach, while we have a nice UI and some amazing tools it would be nice if we could work to extend them to cover more use cases hence report here:

https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=3570

Thanks,

Dan
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

Thanks, that's great.