Solved -- Report View does not display - Fixed

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: Report View does not display

Post by sgrogan »

micksulley wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:52 pm Sorry your link doesn't work, can you post the full address
Fixed the link above.
"fight the good fight"
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Might it be possible that you changed to some funny font family which uses symbols instead of readable letters?
micksulley

Post by micksulley »

I haven't change fonts as far as I know, plus if I delete user.cfg it work fine up to the point I Apply on preferences.

I have looked at the other thread, don't really understand it, but I have tried
LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=true
made no difference, and also launching FC with
LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=true usr/bin/freecad %F
which also made no difference

Is that what I was supposed to do?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I understand, that this happens as soon as you save preferences, even if you don't change them. If you do so and restart FreeCAD, do you have the correct or the garbled display? If it's garbled can you save and upload the user.cfg before and after saving?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
micksulley

Post by micksulley »

OK, I deleted user.cfg, started FC, loaded a file and checked Report View and inspect G-Code, both working fine, closed FC, opened again and checked, still fine. Changed the name to user.cfg.no_change.txt and attached
Restarted FC again and loaded the same file, checked it was still all working, opened Edit > Preferences, click Apply and instantly Report view changes to blocks. Renamed as user.cfg.apply.txt and attached

After Apply the new .cfg is almost 5 times the size. I had a look but doesn't mean much to me.
Attachments
user.cfg.apply.txt
(19.01 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
user.cfg.no_change.txt
(3.75 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

The font name of the editors is set to 1CamBam_Stick_1 and I wonder if this could be the culprit. To test this open the bigger user config and remove this line

Code: Select all

<FCText Name="Font">1CamBam_Stick_1</FCText>
Save the file, start FreeCAD and check if this issue is gone or still there.

In case it's something else then you have to go the harder way. Apparently there must be a key/value pair in the user config that causes the problem. So as a start point remove from user.cfg.apply.txt all key/value pairs that appear in user.cfg.no_change.txt, too. As a result you have a diff of both files which still should show the problem.

Now you have to remove a key/value pair, restart FreeCAD, check the issue in a loop until it's solved.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

What happened to me once: I specified a font as my default system font. Then, I deleted that font from my system. As a result, the system picked the first font it found in alphabetical order, which happened to be a sticky font (Fonts where the letter is not formed by a contour but bt a single line - I have several installed to use with Draft ShapeString + CNC), whose name began with an underscore. Apparently many apps are not ready to deal with sticky fonts and a lot of them showed some garbage just like yours.

*EDIT* Just saw Werner's latest post, I think this is exactly the same issue
micksulley

Re: Report View does not display - Fixed

Post by micksulley »

OK fixed it!
In Edit > Preferences - General > Editor > Text it seems to default to the font at the top of the list, which in my case is 1CamBam_Stick_1 which is a font intended for engraving etc, not for general text use. Change this to something sensible and it is all fine.
Now I know it is all OK, but I think it may be better if a sensible default was used, would that be possible?

Thanks for all your help fixing this
Mick
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Now I know it is all OK, but I think it may be better if a sensible default was used, would that be possible?
FreeCAD actually tries by using "Courier" as the default font family. Now it seems that on many systems a font with exact this name doesn't exist any more and thus simply takes the very first element.

Instead of using a hard-coded name it's better to take a widget's current font as default

EDIT: Fixed in git commit 96771a07b08
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I see the issue got resolved. Nice.
sgrogan wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:41 pm Maybe this is also still in play? EDIT: see here https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 54#p227269
triplus wrote: ping
When this issue is at play FreeCAD won't start successfully.