Assembly3 - position multiple instance of the same part and other issues/best Practice

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nemesis

Re: Assembly3 - position multiple instance of the same part

Post by nemesis »

jpg87 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:56 am 2- I usually have several configuration files: one for FC 0.17 and FC 0.18 and one for FC asm3. Even if I'm not completely sure that this changes something, I have several times seen on the forum problems that were solved by starting new configuration files.
How do you handle various configuration files?
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Another question, is this possible to edit part from external file (in my case "fixtriAv") from the assembly directly?
because a got a crash each time I try this.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

nemesis wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:39 am Another question, is this possible to edit part from external file (in my case "fixtriAv") from the assembly directly?
because a got a crash each time I try this.
Yes it is possible. In order to edit in place, you need to manually activate the body you want to update by double clicking the body item in the assembly tree. After that, you can proceed normal editing in PartDesign. If you want to edit another body, then repeat the activating process. Please post some details about the crash if it still happen.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

nemesis wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:13 am How do you handle various configuration files?
Manually (I did not try to automate because I do not know how to do it in Windows 10!).
I have a freecad3 file and a freecad18 file. Before starting a session, I rename "freecad" the file I need (do not forget the reverse operation at the end of the session).
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

realthunder wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:47 am Yes it is possible. In order to edit in place, you need to manually activate the body you want to update by double clicking the body item in the assembly tree. After that, you can proceed normal editing in PartDesign. If you want to edit another body, then repeat the activating process. Please post some details about the crash if it still happen.
does not work for me (0.8.6.)
see attached the files (a low weight version of the previous ones)
and the console output:

Code: Select all

FreeCAD 0.18, Libs: 0.18R14778 (Git)
© Juergen Riegel, Werner Mayer, Yorik van Havre 2001-2018
  #####                 ####  ###   ####  
  #                    #      # #   #   # 
  #     ##  #### ####  #     #   #  #   # 
  ####  # # #  # #  #  #     #####  #   # 
  #     #   #### ####  #    #     # #   # 
  #     #   #    #     #    #     # #   #  ##  ##  ##
  #     #   #### ####   ### #     # ####   ##  ##  ##

Origin "Origin025" doesn't contain feature with role "XY_Plane"
freecad-daily: /build/freecad-daily-0.18~beta1/src/Gui/DAGView/DAGModelGraph.cpp :91 : const Gui::DAG::GraphLinkRecord& Gui::DAG::findRecord(const Gui::ViewProviderDocumentObject*, const GraphLinkContainer&):  l'assertion « it != list.end() » a échoué.
Abandon
and the sequence a do :

phpBB [video]
Attachments
Tube.fcstd
(9.23 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
tube_etfixtri.fcstd
(13.83 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
FixTriAv.fcstd
(58.19 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

nemesis wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:58 pm see attached the files (a low weight version of the previous ones)
and the console output:
I see. DAGView cannot handle external object right now. Please disable it for the moment. Open parameter editors, BaseApp->Preferences->DAGView->Enable, set to false, and restart FC.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
nemesis

Re: Assembly3 - position multiple instance of the same part and other issues/best Practice

Post by nemesis »

realthunder wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:02 pm I see. DAGView cannot handle external object right now. Please disable it for the moment. Open parameter editors, BaseApp->Preferences->DAGView->Enable, set to false, and restart FC.
Perfect, It Works, Thanks again!
nemesis

Re: Assembly3 - position multiple instance of the same part and other issues/best Practice

Post by nemesis »

Hello,
I'm facing another issue/bug I guess.
when I define a some costraint with an origin plane "like lock constraint or plane coincidence), after saving the file and re-openning it the element no longuer refers to the blane, but to the body.
lock1.png
lock1.png (590.36 KiB) Viewed 1590 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

nemesis wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:25 pm when I define a some costraint with an origin plane "like lock constraint or plane coincidence), after saving the file and re-openning it the element no longuer refers to the blane, but to the body.
The circled reference is correct. But the highlight is wrong. Can you please post the file and let me have a look?
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

realthunder wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:34 pm The circled reference is correct. But the highlight is wrong. Can you please post the file and let me have a look?
Highlight is wrong, but also constraints solving fail with this message, as if it does not take the plane in account but the body

Code: Select all

"PlaneCoincident" requires the 1st element to be of an edge/face with a planar surface
files are up to date here