Release of 0.18

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Re: Release of 0.18

Post by abdullah »

easyw-fc wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:21 pm
abdullah wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:11 pm I think it would be great to get in sync with release year and I would fancy to have a flow according to Debian/Ubuntu release schedules.

From my side, I would like to have this in 0.18:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1421

Of course, I am ready to rebase it and fix whatever conflict that got in the middle.
Hi Abdullah
what about constraintnator?
:D
Hi Maurice!

The basic routines of constrinator are in master. I am not fully satisfied with the current API, as it goes through the Sketcher, and thus it may change in the future, but you may test this basic routines now.

I am not sure ATM where exactly constrinator will go, but the basic routines should be of help for you. See:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1554

Take a look at the diff in SketchObjectPy:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull ... f1fb3a6aa6

Let me know if you need any assistance and feel free to comment your impressions.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

abdullah wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:11 pm I think it would be great to get in sync with release year and I would fancy to have a flow according to Debian/Ubuntu release schedules.

Of course, I am ready to rebase it and fix whatever conflict that got in the middle.
It's basically good to have this merged before the release but I am still not happy with the way how link properties are used there. I hope to find a more elegant way to achieve the same functionality.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

wmayer wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:35 pm

It's basically good to have this merged before the release but I am still not happy with the way how link properties are used there. I hope to find a more elegant way to achieve the same functionality.
Being the problem the solution as a whole, just let me know if I may somehow help.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

abdullah wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:47 am Take a look at the diff in SketchObjectPy:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull ... f1fb3a6aa6

Let me know if you need any assistance and feel free to comment your impressions.
Thx a lot! I was missing the merge and the py functions :D
Maurice
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

What do we need for a release?
We say a 2 week feature freeze, but we've proven that doesn't work :(

I know we want PY3, QT5, OCCT7.3, Netgen to match, SMesh to match, etc.
What is truly gating?
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

sgrogan wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:51 pm What do we need for a release?
We say a 2 week feature freeze, but we've proven that doesn't work :(

I know we want PY3, QT5, OCCT7.3, Netgen to match, SMesh to match, etc.
What is truly gating?
dont forget the translators
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:07 am dont forget the translators
I'm not, nor the people working on the wiki. If we don't answer the above questions, they can't do their work.
"fight the good fight"
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

easyw-fc wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:18 pm Thx a lot! I was missing the merge and the py functions :D
When you start using them, feel free to come back to me with your impressions of how you would like it to evolve, what you are missing, what you would like and what you do not like or is not useful to you.

Generally I have a clearer idea of what I want to implement and how. The ideas and ultimate goals of Constrainator are simply not defined. It has started more like a bunch of features I would like to have together with producing a bunch of feature that would be useful for general DXF import and in particular your kiCAD WB.

In any case, I won't hijack the thread any longer, as Constrainator is definitely v0.19 and beyond.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

sgrogan wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:51 pm I know we want PY3, QT5, OCCT7.3, Netgen to match, SMesh to match, etc.
What is truly gating?
I have been a long time away, but I would say that "to gate", we need to be very much realistic about what we have now and compromise in what we can actually achieve.

No FreeCAD release will be perfect in absolute terms, but (almost) any FreeCAD release will be perfect to me. I understand that is a quite particular view though.

From my side, in October I plan to start already with bug fixing, Sketcher and Part Design, directly from what is reported in the bug tracker. I would like to start around February 2019 another Sketcher development cycle with new features, but when will depend on when 0.18 is released.

To arrive happily with a good final release in February (Debian 10, see Kurt's post), a feature freeze should probably kick in early November at latest (and we are almost in October). The more we try to push in in the last minute, the longer testing and bug fixing will take, the longer translations will take, the longer updating the wiki will take. I think we do not want 2-3 months of "releasing". So, IMO there is about 1 month to go in the development cycle of v0.18.

All that I would like to have all those cited above and even more (realhunter comes to my mind), I would be happier with a v0.18 that is a v0.17+ than with a v0.18 with all those goodies to be delivered [insert your late date here].
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

abdullah wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:43 pm
sgrogan wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:51 pm I know we want PY3, QT5, OCCT7.3, Netgen to match, SMesh to match, etc.
What is truly gating?
I have been a long time away, but I would say that "to gate", we need to be very much realistic about what we have now and compromise in what we can actually achieve.

No FreeCAD release will be perfect in absolute terms, but (almost) any FreeCAD release will be perfect to me. I understand that is a quite particular view though.

From my side, in October I plan to start already with bug fixing, Sketcher and Part Design, directly from what is reported in the bug tracker. I would like to start around February 2019 another Sketcher development cycle with new features, but when will depend on when 0.18 is released.

To arrive happily with a good final release in February (Debian 10, see Kurt's post), a feature freeze should probably kick in early November at latest (and we are almost in October). The more we try to push in in the last minute, the longer testing and bug fixing will take, the longer translations will take, the longer updating the wiki will take. I think we do not want 2-3 months of "releasing". So, IMO there is about 1 month to go in the development cycle of v0.18.

All that I would like to have all those cited above and even more (realhunter comes to my mind), I would be happier with a v0.18 that is a v0.17+ than with a v0.18 with all those goodies to be delivered [insert your late date here].
+1

Since the goal is to have both Python 2 & 3 releases available, and IMO we should consider 3 "preferred" and 2 merely "available", I'd say the only real blockers are the state of the Python 3 releases; for the Python 2 releases we can largely just replicate what was done for 0.17.

I need to update and rebuild some dependencies in the freecad-daily PPA at which point we can get some more testing & fixing cycles for the freecad-python3 package, which is a standalone test for Python 3 and not quite the way the final result will be. Once that works, I will need to update the freecad-daily package itself to build both Python 2 & 3 binaries, and be able to switch between them with the Debian alternatives system; this will resemble the actual released result, at least on Debian-family distros. Then the recipe for that freecad-daily package will be used for the stable release PPA once the release is actually done, and similarly it will be submitted to Debian, which should mean we'd make it in time for both Debian 10 and Ubuntu 19.04.

So, that speaks for Debian, Ubuntu, and the PPAs. Can someone summarize the state of things with regards to the Python 3 release on Windows (traditional & Conda) and Mac?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.