How to get wiki editing permissions

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to get wiki editing permissions

Post by chrisb »

I have approved this post and did not move it, because it was not in the general help section but rather the first post needed to be able to ask for wiki editing permissions. I had the feeling that it should be permitted in this special case. After all, he wants to contribute.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I will look like the bad guy again, so be it.

It is OK for end users to communicate in their own language, this is why we provide other languages forums. Of course not everybody is fluent in English. But as far as participating to the FreeCAD project, things should be different. Contributing to the wiki is just as important as contributing to FreeCAD's code, or contributing to its packaging. And in these cases, a common language to communicate with each other and coordinate our actions is absolutely essential, and that common language is English.

I consider that to communicate in French here, where many contributors don't understand the language, is a breach of the unwritten netiquette. fylip22's Wikipedia profile mentions that he is able to communicate with an intermediate level of English. Why didn't he do so here, when he could not ignore that the whole thread and forum were in English?

One important thing to be aware of is that since the FreeCAD pool of wiki contributors is considerably smaller than Wikipedia's, it was decided long ago that all new content had to be written in English; then translated into other languages. We simply cannot accept new original content in other languages, because we will not be able to review or translate it. I made an exception with the Creating a simple part with PartDesign tutorial which I translated from the original French. It was a time intensive job that I would prefer not to repeat.

So provided that fylip22 understands the rules we have in place and is still willing to contribute, I will certainly be happy to welcome him in the team.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NormandC wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:52 am I will look like the bad guy again, so be it.
You've never been, at least not without reason. And you are right; as always.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
srjrainey

Post by srjrainey »

Hello,

My name is Shane. I'd first like to congratulate you on your incredible feat to build such an awesome, free CAD tool!! As a hobbyist designer, this is an invaluable tool.

I am currently teaching myself to use your software with the tutorials. On my second time through each tutorial, I make a video with commentary of what I am doing and why, lest I forget in the future. If you are interested in utilizing these videos, I can post them to youtube and add the link into the wiki tutorials.

If you would like a sample first, let me know!

Thank you for your consideration, I am here to help!

Very Respectfully,
Shane Rainey
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Hi Shane and welcome to the forum!
I guess your tutorials will be good for the FreeCAD community and the links to your tutorials will be good for your yt account activity :D
Don't forget to post them also in the Tutorials and Videos section of the forum!
voqk

Post by voqk »

Hi,

I'm going through the introduction Whiffle Ball tutorial and would like to fix something minor. Replying here for PM rights.

Thanks,
Voqk
neil1

Post by neil1 »

I am interested in contributing to FreeCAD, and will likely have occasion to add to the wiki. I am a new FreeCAD forum member, with no posts to my name. This is my inaugural post, made in order to gain PM'ing ability so that I can then request the highly-vaunted Wiki account. Please approve this post. Thank you, and thank you for the frank and well-written documentation.
Markcnz

Post by Markcnz »

Hi there, I'm new and I'm using the tutorials on the Wiki to learn FreeCAD. I wish to clarify the tutorials by adding more details if possible please. This post is to enable me send a pm to request an editing account. Kind Regards
grautvornix

Post by grautvornix »

Hi all,

for me it is the same. I like this project and have some spare time at the moment and saw some issues which would need to be fixed in the wiki. So I really would love to help. Most important the libpack-link on compileforwindows page, which did cause some trouble when trying to compile...

So how is it managed at all ? Can I get this permission somehow to correct some of these issues ?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help,

Marc
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello Marc,

Welcome. As explained in the first post, now that you can, please send us a private/personal message with your email address and the name you want on the Wiki, if you want a different one from your forum nickname.