How to draw the steel structure of a building with 4 sketches

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
oddtopus

How to draw the steel structure of a building with 4 sketches

Post by oddtopus »

Hi, this tutorial shows how to draw the steel structure of a building.

The main steps are
  • drawing of the single-line structure using full-parametric sketches replicated with arrays and mirrors and linked together
  • automatic attach of steel beams over the centerlines
  • adjustment of profiles rotation and offset of head and tail of beams, which is persistent even after modification of the underlying sketches
  • creation of customized profiles based upon sketches
phpBB [video]

Though the "flamingo" workbench will have soon a quite drastic re-arrangement, this workflow seems very quick and flexible and I'll keep that also in future development.
If you have any improvement or integration with other features of FreeCAD, which I may not be aware of, please write suggestions in the thread of the workbench.

Bye
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: How to draw the steel structure of a building with 4 sketches

Post by Kunda1 »

oddtopus wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:04 pm Hi, this tutorial shows how to draw the steel structure of a building.
Very cool!
The tutorial's highest resolution is at 480. Is it possible for you to create a higher resolution and upload it ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
oddtopus

Post by oddtopus »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:47 am The tutorial's highest resolution is at 480. Is it possible for you to create a higher resolution and upload it ?
Dear @Kunda1,
actually I use Kazam to make screencasts and OpenShot to assemble them with some slides.
When I export the video I use the standard profile for YouTube (640x480: good ol' CGA resolution; but with 2 colors!) given inside the software and then modify some setting in the "Advanced" tab:
Video:
- format .mp4
- bitrate VCD quality = 1.25 MB/s
Audio:
- none

With that I get a quite acceptable quality but also a quite fat file of 130 MB or more for 9 minutes tutorial. Too much for my internet connection and my patience during uploading. So I convert with VLC the file to a lower bitrate (typically 300 kbps= video-conferencing) and a lower fps (10 fps).
At the end I get the result that you see: still readable but with some flare.

Do you have any advice to get better results keeping the file around 40 MB?

Thanks
regis

Post by regis »

Beautiful tutorial,
Great mastery of the workflow between the different workbenches,
Great control in with minimal steps while maintaining parametricsms.
Great stuffs. I love it.
oddtopus wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:26 pm Do you have any advice to get better results keeping the file around 40 MB?
Hmm try OBS Studio. You can record offline since you don't have good internet connection, and also you can have fairly decent video quality for less megabites, unlike the OpenShot, Kazam and the others that blow up file size and taxes your Ram and Graphics card.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Amazing tutorial @oddtopus!
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Great tutorial to learn Flamingo ! :D

I just can't figure out how you 'snap' the sketch rectangle 2 corners to the external edges seem w/o picking the Coincidence button at 2:35 - 2:41 :idea: :?:

Thanks.
oddtopus

Post by oddtopus »

paullee wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:22 am I just can't figure out how you 'snap' the sketch rectangle 2 corners to the external edges seem w/o picking the Coincidence button at 2:35 - 2:41 :idea: :?:
Used keyboard shortcut "C" after selecting points. That's because it's time consuming to aim exactly at the point every time. ;)
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Not aware of availability of shortcuts right in sketcher itself! Now read thw wIki amd found they are very productive indeed!

Thanks!