[SOLVED] view solid colors in technical drawing

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jango

Re: [SOLVED] view solid colors in technical drawing

Post by jango »

More than highlight specific lines my suggestion is a tool to change the properties of individual lines: type, thickness and color. In example draw a dashed circle to represent the pitch of a gear. Therefore also we need:
1. a tool for create sketches over the view of a part.
2. a tool for project geometry of the view in that sketch.
We use the projected geometry as the basis points or coordinates to draw simplified representations: Circle centers and more. For example a gear simplification that could be made from views of a part:
Attachments
gearsimp.png
gearsimp.png (11.15 KiB) Viewed 3122 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

jango wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:23 pm
Can you respond to issue #3575 please? TIA
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:35 pm
bump. please respond
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
jango

Post by jango »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:57 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:35 pm
bump. please respond
Sorry about the delay, I've already respond to the bug and will check more frequent my forum account.
I believe that FreeCAD is a promising tool but already is in early stages compared with other commercial Software. It could save a lot of money to companies like us, avoiding licenses costs and giving control over the software development and tools; is some kind of liberty.
I want to get involved in the project, I'm mechanical engineer and have experience designing machinery with others software (Inventor, solidworks, solidedge, etc) and programming in other fields: continuous medium mechanics and therefore I could easely learn to use Python libraries, qt5, etc. I consider that technical draw module need to be more robust due to the importance of technical drawings in the manufacturing process of complex and good quality products. How can I begin contributing in small projects?
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

How can I begin contributing in small projects?
My car needs washing. :lol:

What I found most interesting on the FreeCAD site is many things go in waves of direction and time, sometimes there are no programmers, sometimes the programmers make huge strides. It takes the right person and the right time because sometimes there are so many road-blocks that it just can't be done. My best advice is to read the forums for a month and really get to know the different tools and workbenches. It's hard to work on the machine until you know how it works.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved to TechDraw forum, where this generous offer might get the attention it deserves.

Edit: I mean, of course, this to be an answer to jango, not freedman.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

jango wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:33 am Sorry about the delay, I've already respond to the bug and will check more frequent my forum account.
Thanks for the additional info on the ticket. I'm still not clear on where/when the problem occurs. In the attached picture the red area would be from a Spreadsheet view, the green area would be part of the Page template and the blue area would most likely be an Annotation. If you can't identify which fields cause the recompute issue, that would narrow down my search.

I suspect the Spreadsheet fields are the place.

PS I could learn a lot from that picture. Any chance of getting a larger version? You can PM me if the content is sensitive.
Attachments
recomputeOnTextChange.jpeg
recomputeOnTextChange.jpeg (45.12 KiB) Viewed 2960 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

jango wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:33 am How can I begin contributing in small projects?
Always looking for help, so please jump in.

TD is written in C++ and uses the QtGraphicsScene library. You can see some ancient history here.

There is lots of work to be done. One of the things that it sounds like you could jump right into is standards compliance. Right now, we don't comply with any particular standard (ISO, ASME, etc).

Lots of other ideas from the issue tracker under TechDraw or theTechDraw_Roadmap.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jango wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:33 am How can I begin contributing in small projects?
Kunda1 has collected some #lowhangingfruit.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

From ticket #3575:
The problem is the following: when we're making a technical draw of some machine, we need to specify a lot of components characteristics and names in order to make it easily understandable; in example the table of components, welding type, surface finishing and so forth; in the designing process we change continuously those characteristics and text, in this sense is annoying have to recompute a whole text if you only need to change a section of it: an incorrect letter or number, recompute a whole 50 components table for only one incorrect part.

After playing around a bit it seems to me that TD Template fields don't force a recompute when changed, nor do Annotations.

That leads me to believe that the text you are changing is in a Spreadsheet?

From the python console,

Code: Select all

>>> App.ActiveDocument.Spreadsheet.set('C3', 'BottomRight')
>>> App.ActiveDocument.recompute()
it looks like Spreadsheets call Document.recompute() when a cell is changed. If this is so (Eivind? Yorik?), then maybe Spreadsheets need a "skip recompute" flag like TechDraw Views have. There is also a document level "skip recompute" flag, but that might be overkill here.

If I've understood correctly, then I think this is a FeatureRequest for the Spreadsheet Workbench and not something that can be fixed within TechDraw.

But I have been wrong before.