Using Dependancy Graph on AppImage - Fixed

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
micksulley

Using Dependancy Graph on AppImage - Fixed

Post by micksulley »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.14448 (Git) AppImage
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 561be08211c21bcae5b8e3c6f2dbc7b09306da21
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)

I have FreeCad installed from the repository and also the Daily. Dependecy graph works fine in the repro but if I try it in the Daily I get a message that Graphviz couldn't be found. It is installed and I have tried adding the path but it just repeats the error.
How do I fix this?
Thanks
Mick
Last edited by micksulley on Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Using Dependancy Graph on Daily

Post by chrisb »

Is your stable version also an Appimage?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
micksulley

Post by micksulley »

No I installed it from the Mint repository
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

It might help to have the version information from the one that works and from the one that doesn't.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

micksulley wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:01 pm if I try it in the Daily I get a message that Graphviz couldn't be found.
This is not an issue with "Daily", it's an issue with AppImage. Please edit your first post and correct the topic title accordingly.

micksulley wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:01 pm OS: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Version: 0.18.14448 (Git) AppImage
I might add that it's a pretty old build at that. The latest available one is 0.18.14995.

micksulley wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:01 pm I have FreeCad installed from the repository and also the Daily.
Your "Daily" is not installed because it's actually an AppImage. AppImage is a self-contained binary, you download it and execute it, like portable builds on Windows. It is not installed in the system's folders, and that's the real source of your issue here.

Why are you not using the freecad-daily PPA? AppImage is provided for users of other Linux distributions, for Ubuntu and derivatives (Linux Mint being one) the best method will always be the PPA as long as it exists.

Excerpt from the Download page:
Notes for GNU/Linux users
FreeCAD can be installed from most Linux distributions official repositories, but the version they provide might be quite dated and be missing many features. Instead you can download the linked AppImage above, mark it as executable and launch it without installation. Please see the Install on Unix page for more installation options, including how to get up-to-date packages for Ubuntu and derivatives .
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I just downloaded the latest AppImage, made it executable and launched it. I had to provide the graphviz dot executable path (/usr/bin/) the first time. Then I closed the AppImage and reopened it again. The graphviz path was remembered and I did not get any error.

Version: 0.18.14995 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 7b866816785ac1ca9787b63d4bff12873bb3a593
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: French/Canada (fr_CA)
micksulley

Re: Using Dependancy Graph on AppImage

Post by micksulley »

OK I have downloaded the latest AppImage and as you say it does allow me to specify the location for Graphviz and it does remember it, problem solved.

I do use the PPA for the repro install, but that only get me v17 and from what I remember there were some very useful addition for Path in v18 which is why I prefer to use that.

Thank you all for your help
Mick
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Using Dependancy Graph on AppImage - Fixed

Post by chrisb »

You can install both from the repositories and as Normand said, it's the recommended way. 0.18 is called freecad-daily.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Mick, I was talking about the freecad-daily PPA, not the freecad-stable PPA. As its names implies, it installs - you guessed it, the daily version. And in fact, the AppImage is based on... the freecad-daily PPA.

I even gave you the link.

One of my pet peeves is people who don't bother reading the information they're given. :|
dcapeletti

Post by dcapeletti »

Hi, I just got here because I downloaded the FreeCAD AppImage 0.18 and I'm just having trouble opening the dependency graph.
I have already specified the path /usr/bin but the message that Graphviz could not be found in the system still appears.

How to solve this problem in AppImage?

Thanks