Looking through the wiki and forum, I didn't find a list of software that is supported by FreeCAD out of the box, which don't have build time dependencies. I think it could be useful for users, to have such a list in one place, to see which other software they can install to have them automagically supported by FreeCAD. If this get's broad agreement, I'm willing to write such a page for the wiki. I'm also keeping this thread updated to replies on the topic, where necessary.
What I have found so far somewhere in the wiki, the forum and in various places in FreeCAD:
- From the debian control file at https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/f ... an/control
- povray (suggested) https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Installing#POVRay
- graphviz (recommended) https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Installing#GraphViz
- python-collada / pycollada (suggested) https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Installing#pycollada
- Calculix (recommended) https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Installing#CalculiX
- gts (GNU Triangulated Library)
- proj (Proj.4 cartographic projection software)
- Throughout the wiki / forum
- ifcOpenShell https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Installing#ifcOpenShell
- gmsh https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Installing#Gmsh
- LuxCoreRender / LuxRender https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Install ... CoreRender
- dxf-importer https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Installing#DXF_Importer
- OpenCAMLib https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Installing#OpenCAMLib
- OpenFOAM https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Installing#OpenFOAM
- FeniCS https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Installing#FEniCS
- ODAFileConverter (propietary, binary, free) https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Install ... _Converter
- CAD Exchanger (proprietary, binary, $$$) https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Install ... _Exchanger
- OpenSCAD https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Installing#OpenSCAD
- git-python https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Installing#GitPython
- In FreeCAD
If you know of any other software that fits the criteria, please reply here, so I can add it.
A few questions did arise when I was compiling that list. I'd be happy, if anyone has answers to any of those questions.
- Debian: What's the difference between suggested and recommended packages in debian?
- What's the support for graphviz? Import / export of .dot files? Creation of dependency graphs (thanks @chrisb)
- Beside python-collada is there direct support to import / export collada files? OpenCollada isn't a direct dependency of FreeCAD AFAIR.
- gts and proj are listed as dependencies in the debian control file. I currently have them installed on my system, but can't remember having seen them referenced somewhere in the CMakefiles, so they might be automagic dependencies which I just haven't noticed. My question is, whether FreeCAD really depends on them or not (in the meaning of a build time dep)?Most likely they are not build-time dependencies. See https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p264925 Thanks @sgrogan
- gmsh is referenced somewhere on the wiki in a page about macros. Is this macro needed for gmsh support, or is it sufficient to just have gmsh installed on the system?
- LuxRender is named several times in the wiki, noteably on the Render_project page which states (outdated) version 1.3. Maybe you know already, that at the end of 2017, LuxRender was renamed to LuxCoreRender and they've gone github (https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCore) and have released version 2 of Lux. Is this new version already supported by FreeCAD? If not, are there plans to support it in the future?
- I found a reference to dxf-importer github repo of Yorik van Havre. As he's part of the core team, I'm curious whether this has already found it's way into FreeCAD? Are there any other DXF importers / exporters supported, like for example dime from the Coin3D team? CAD Exchanger and ODA File Converter. Thanks @NormandC
- I found reference to the elmer and z88 solvers in the FEM workbench in FreeCAD. For z88, what is actually needed to have support in FreeCAD? At https://z88.de/ there are several pieces of software: Z88OS, (also availabe at https://github.com/LSCAD/Z88OS), z88aurora and z88arion, of which the latter two are only available under a very restrictive license, allowing it's use only in academic or R&D areas. What is actually needed to have support for z88 in FreeCAD? Will z88os be enough or is any of the aurora or arion applications needed?