Proposal: Categorizing all related WB pages to each other

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Proposal: Categorizing all related WB pages to each other

Post by Kunda1 »

This topic has been split off from this thread:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 08#p259791

Navigating the wiki can be challenging, especially searching the wiki (I've opened an issue (issue #3277)about this due to getting many redundant translation pages as a result which pollute the results subsequently).

So perhaps we can use the technique of categorizing each respective workbench with the pages that are associated with it.
For example, tagging all FEM pages as [[Category:FEM]], all Arch pages as [[Category:Arch]] etc..

I know that currently we already list the wiki pages associated with certain workbenches on the dedicated workbench page ex. Arch_Module but once you link to a specific page there is no way but pressing back to get back to the command list.

The way we can quickly categorize each relevant wiki pages to it's specific workbench is to use a Mediawiki addon (Mediawiki MassEditRegex) that can quickly regex through all the wiki pages and append the appropriate category code to said page.

Relevant:
All the FC wiki categories [wiki]Special:Categories[/wiki]

CC:
bernd wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:07 pm
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Re: Proposal: Categorizing all related WB pages to each other

Post by yorik »

That's a very good idea, actually... Would be a bit like tags...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Great, I'd be happy to do this.
I think we should make a backup of the wiki beforehand. Then we install https://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MassEditRegex
I've done this before (but several years ago.. so that means the extension is more mature now).
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

NormandC wrote:
Care to weigh in ?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:45 pm For example, tagging all FEM pages as [[Category:FEM]], all Arch pages as [[Category:Arch]] etc..
Won't you have to create localized categories as well? FEM/es, FEM/fr, FEM/it and so on... Otherwise you'll still have the redundant translation pages problem.

I don't mind as long as I don't have to do the job ;) , and it sure would help wiki search, but I don't see how this would solve the wiki navigation issue. This I'm afraid is where GitBooks has an advantage.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

NormandC wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:10 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:45 pm For example, tagging all FEM pages as [[Category:FEM]], all Arch pages as [[Category:Arch]] etc..
Won't you have to create localized categories as well? FEM/es, FEM/fr, FEM/it and so on... Otherwise you'll still have the redundant translation pages problem.
I'm not sure what to do about that. Translation adds a whole new order of magnitude of complexity to the equation, doesn't it?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

And the disheartening thing is, after all the effort put into implementing a translation structure over the years, we still have only two mostly completed languages: Italian and French. They got there thanks to a handful of people who did most of the work. renatorivo single-handedly translated all of it in Italian. In the early years mario52 did the same thing for French.

And those two languages are nowhere near the most spoken languages in the world!

Spanish, spoken by 437 million people over the world? Barely anything translated. Brazilian Portugese, by 200 million? Neither.
And German, from which country FreeCAD is most downloaded after the USA (based on old Sourceforge statistics), and which has a dedicated forum with a lot of active regulars, is mostly nowhere translation-wise. Go figure.

And I'm not even mentioning Chinese...

Many languages that got early translations have not been updated in years...

Today I received an email from Wikipedia, because I donated to them last year and they're asking me to donate again. The message says that fewer than 1% of readers donate to Wikipedia. Imagine how many contribute content to it? Now scale it down to us. :roll:
cadgiru

Post by cadgiru »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:45 pm This topic has been split off from this thread:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 08#p259791

Navigating the wiki can be challenging, especially searching the wiki (I've opened an issue (issue #3277)about this due to getting many redundant translation pages as a result which pollute the results subsequently).

So perhaps we can use the technique of categorizing each respective workbench with the pages that are associated with it.
For example, tagging all FEM pages as [[Category:FEM]], all Arch pages as [[Category:Arch]] etc..

I know that currently we already list the wiki pages associated with certain workbenches on the dedicated workbench page ex. Arch_Module but once you link to a specific page there is no way but pressing back to get back to the command list.

The way we can quickly categorize each relevant wiki pages to it's specific workbench is to use a Mediawiki addon (Mediawiki MassEditRegex) that can quickly regex through all the wiki pages and append the appropriate category code to said page.

Relevant:
All the FC wiki categories [wiki]Special:Categories[/wiki]

CC:
bernd wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:07 pm
Browsing the wiki, having a special interest in Arch at the moment, I found this :
Selection_023.png
Selection_023.png (42.09 KiB) Viewed 2106 times
So for some questions:
q1) Do we actively want to Categories?
q2)
Kunda1 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:49 pm Great, I'd be happy to do this.
I think we should make a backup of the wiki beforehand. Then we install https://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MassEditRegex
I've done this before (but several years ago.. so that means the extension is more mature now).
Kunda1 have You started this activity?
q2.1)How would this impact edits to existing wiki
q3) I would like to start categorizing all Arch related pages to Category:Arch. Is this a good or bad idea?
q3.1)Will q2.1 have an impact on this?

regards
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

cadgiru wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:35 am Browsing the wiki, having a special interest in Arch at the moment ....

So for some questions:
q1) Do we actively want to Categories?
q2)
Kunda1 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:49 pm Great, I'd be happy to do this.
Kunda1 have You started this activity?
q2.1)How would this impact edits to existing wiki
q3) I would like to start categorizing all Arch related pages to Category:Arch. Is this a good or bad idea?
q3.1)Will q2.1 have an impact on this?
a1) I do and there was no pushback from others not to.
a2) Currently stalled, waiting on the mediawiki extension to be installed so that we can make a sweeping change to many pages at once instead of manually editing each one specifically.
a2.1) Impact: I think the Recent Changes may be bloated reporting all the edits that would be made. You need to consider translation AKA each Arch page is most likely translated to another language, so in turn you'd need to create (for example): [[Categtory:Arch/po]] for portuguese translated pages etc...etc.. This would be easier to implement, again, using the Mediawiki extension.
a3) I think this is a good idea, personally.
a3.1) I don't think so since the mediawiki extension uses regex and we'd just need to craft a regex that makes sure we don't duplicate the work you'd have done.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Created issue #3645 to track this thread