0001304: Allow Sketcher to Fillet Arcs, Not Only Lines

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: 0001304: Allow Sketcher to Fillet Arcs, Not Only Lines

Post by chrisb »

You don't have to do all the testing yourself. As soon as you are confident enough, roll it out and wait for the feedback. From the echo here, there are enough testers around.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

abdullah wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:49 am Look at the endpoint of the major axis of the left ellipse. It does move slightly when applying the tangency.
I don't see the movement either...

I don't think it's unreasonable for an unconstrained endpoint to move a tiny bit after the Fillet is applied, and I'm pretty sure that behavior existed before. I think your changes should be merged, and we can report back to you regarding any issues we might find.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:12 am You don't have to do all the testing yourself. As soon as you are confident enough, roll it out and wait for the feedback. From the echo here, there are enough testers around.
bejant wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:44 pm I don't think it's unreasonable for an unconstrained endpoint to move a tiny bit after the Fillet is applied, and I'm pretty sure that behavior existed before. I think your changes should be merged, and we can report back to you regarding any issues we might find.
Ok. I see you all are eager. I am going to do some tests and will ask Werner about when to merge.
Fillet_BSpline.gif
Fillet_BSpline.gif (143.52 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
Fillet_LinesandConics.gif
Fillet_LinesandConics.gif (271.71 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You shouldn't take the moving too serious, things move all the time in sketcher as long as the sketch is not fully constraint. I see that it would be nice not to move in this case, but there is no need for it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:12 pm You shouldn't take the moving too serious, things move all the time in sketcher as long as the sketch is not fully constraint. I see that it would be nice not to move in this case, but there is no need for it.
I am no longer considering moving as an issue. B-Splines will move, but I think this is normal.

I am trying to clean up the code and make some meaningful messages for the user, as:
Fillet_Exception_notification.gif
Fillet_Exception_notification.gif (205.33 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

abdullah wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:24 am I am trying to clean up the code and make some meaningful messages for the user
@abdullah is there a way to tell Qt to create a popup that doesn't cease operations till you press 'OK' ?
Instead it either stays open and less conspicuous (to the side) or even dissolves after a certain time threshold is reached ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:59 am
abdullah wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:24 am I am trying to clean up the code and make some meaningful messages for the user
@abdullah is there a way to tell Qt to create a popup that doesn't cease operations till you press 'OK' ?
Instead it either stays open and less conspicuous (to the side) or even dissolves after a certain time threshold is reached ?
Not to my knowledge.

Another task for the idea of the "clipper"-alike assistant. ;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

abdullah wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:09 pm Another task for the idea of the "clipper"-alike assistant.
@abdullah Did you ever hear/see the tragic story of what happened to Clippy? :lol:
https://i.gifer.com/Axob.gif (it's an animated gif and I wanted to save data for mobile users)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:39 pm
abdullah wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:09 pm Another task for the idea of the "clipper"-alike assistant.
@abdullah Did you ever hear/see the tragic story of what happened to Clippy? :lol:
https://i.gifer.com/Axob.gif (it's an animated gif and I wanted to save data for mobile users)
Poor thing...

It seems you trying to make a fillet...

we could always task "Rocky" with it.