Arch Window - Glass Panel Area etc in Python Script?

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

Re: Arch Window - Glass Panel Area etc in Python Script?

Post by vocx »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:15 pm
paullee wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:57 pm Vocx provide the best illustration!
I agree :thumbsup:
Maybe he'd be willing to help with making some slick sorely-needed documentation?
Sure thing. Just give me access to the wiki.
yorik wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:10 pm ... We have more than $1000 now parked on the bountysource account, and nowhere to spend it.
Ehem. Can I get some coin?
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bernd wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:09 pm - the hole is in the wall, but the window not ...
It's fine. The Window has a Sketch. If you look at its properties, it shows a Position [1.4909, 0.7307, 1.1163]. If you hover the mouse over the face of the Wall, the coordinates are displayed in the bottom left of the screen; there you see that the Y-coordinate stays constant, for example, [3244, 150, 1244] (these are millimeters), [0, 150, 0] (bottom corner), [0, 150, 2400] (top corner), etc. This tells you that the Sketch of the Window should have the same Y-coordinate as the face of the Wall.

So change the Position of the Sketch of the Window to [1.4909 m, 0.150 m, 1.1163 m]. The Window moves into the hole that was created.

Just a note here: it seems the bottom panel that shows the coordinates of the pointer is always in millimeters, but the dimensions shown in the Property view are shown in the units specified by the Menu > Edit > Preferences ... > General > Units.

In order for an Arch Window to be positioned well, you should use the Draft Snap toolbar with the Draft Near method. Having other methods active may cause you some issues, like the Window appearing sideways, or upside-down. So, it's better if you position the Window first in the Wall, and then adjust a bit the position from the Property view.
FreeCad_Arch_Window_position.png
FreeCad_Arch_Window_position.png (144.69 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
The reason the hole is created nevertheless even if the Window is not exactly next to the Wall, is because it seems the Arch Window tries to create a hole automatically by cutting solid materials that are perpendicular to the plane of the Sketch. Of course, this may not be desired, so you can control exactly the Hole Depth in the Property view (0 m is automatic hole depth).

The automatic hole creation works well for exterior walls, which probably won't be close to other walls. But if you have interior Doors and Windows, you may need to specify the Hole Depth precisely so that the Window or Door doesn't cut other interior walls in your model.
Last edited by vocx on Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

vocx wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:52 pmEhem. Can I get some coin?
Why not, actually? If you are serious about this, would you mind writing a small "project", like, describe what you would do with money, and how much you would want? This would be a perfect case to do a test with allocating money from the bountysource.
vocx wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:37 pm In order for an Arch Window to be positioned well, you should use the Draft Snap toolbar with the Draft Near method.
Actually you can now use all the snap tools. As soon as you hover the mouse over a face, the window will take the face orientation. After that, you can snap anywhere, to the middle of an edge, etc. If you use the "Sill height" parameter, you can actually snap on the baseline of the wall and have it placed at a correct location. If you don't have the near snap activated, however, indeed you have the risk to snap outside of the wall face.

Maybe we should always activate near snap by default when placing a window?

Indeed this is all still far from perfect... But I still fail to see how to reach a good, ideal, perfect workflow to place a window in a wall...
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

thanks yorik and vocx, typical FreeCAD if you know why it is pretty obvious to fix it and you think yourself why did I not knew it before. Sure the scetch placement had to be inside the wall thickness otherwise the window would not be in the wall ...
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

vocx your window opening explanation ist great ! :D

Screenshot_20181025_202852.png
Screenshot_20181025_202852.png (124.49 KiB) Viewed 2268 times
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bernd wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:30 pm vocx your window opening explanation ist great ! :D
ist perfekt!
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

EDIT:
(This should be split together with other posts to this thread https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 96#p264896 :) )

Or what this thread is originally meant for - improving / adding feature in to Arch Window to output Information (BOM? area / volume etc) about its component... :)

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p201834
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

paullee wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:57 pm Vocx provide the best illustration!
Kunda1 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:15 pm I agree :thumbsup:
Maybe he'd be willing to help with making some slick sorely-needed documentation?
bernd wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:30 pm vocx your window opening explanation ist great ! :D
See the new tutorial on placing windows and displaying them as open: Tutorial for open windows.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

vocx wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:53 pm See the new tutorial on placing windows and displaying them as open: Tutorial for open windows.
Hi, I have a quick look - it is enjoyable indeed! Easy and detailed enough to follow with illustration. Some remarks for reference:-
  1. Typo 'Sill height'
  2. 'Arch and TechDraw interaction' - I think TechDraw could do without ArchSectionPlane. I haven't tried for a long time.
yorik wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:52 pm Indeed this is all still far from perfect... But I still fail to see how to reach a good, ideal, perfect workflow to place a window in a wall...
After reading, I have a feeling that opening the window could be done with some little default setting?
  1. Opening set to 100 by default
  2. For Preset Door - Hinge Edge is set (e.g. in tutorial Edge 8)
  3. If user do not like it be shown open, the Opening parameters is not easily accessible
Hope it helps.