Working on the documentation (was: Arch Window - Glass Panel Area etc in Python Script?)

Post here if you have a FreeCAD-related job to offer to the FreeCAD community. This can include programming or modeling.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Working on the documentation (was: Arch Window - Glass Panel Area etc in Python Script?)

Post by NormandC »

vocx wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:35 pm I'd like to continue using Userdocnavi, as it's a nice way to jump around the tools in the online wiki. This makes sense to me, unless you can update the left sidebar, as discussed in the other thread https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 57#p265957
As I wrote yesterday, I have found how to edit the sidebar.
vocx
Veteran

Re: Working on the documentation (was: Arch Window - Glass Panel Area etc in Python Script?)

Post by vocx »

NormandC wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:24 am
vocx wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:35 pm I'd like to continue using Userdocnavi, as it's a nice way to jump around the tools in the online wiki. This makes sense to me, unless you can update the left sidebar, as discussed in the other thread https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 57#p265957
As I wrote yesterday, I have found how to edit the sidebar.
I found that as well, the issue is not finding about it, but actually changing it. Do you have permissions to do it? Are you going to do it?
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

About navigation, please take a look at https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 57#p266266
and give me an opinion, thank you.
Sorry if I cross the discussions, but this seems more read.
Renato
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:39 pm
vocx wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:29 amI suppose in the past workbenches were called "modules".
A module is an application extension (we're talking about code, basically). A workbench is a special functionality of FreeCAD. Most of the FreeCAD modules also define a workbench with the same name, but not all (the Addon Manager is an example of a module that doesn't define a workbench).
material is another module without a workbench. https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/tree ... d/Material
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bernd wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:36 pm
yorik wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:39 pm A module is an application extension (we're talking about code, basically). A workbench is a special functionality of FreeCAD. Most of the FreeCAD modules also define a workbench with the same name, but not all (the Addon Manager is an example of a module that doesn't define a workbench).
material is another module without a workbench. https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/tree ... d/Material
I don't think it makes sense to make a distinction between a module and a workbench based on the GUI alone. The user doesn't really care about that. That is important for the developer who wants to add a functionality to FreeCAD. But the user just wants to use the interface to do things he sees in front of him or her. That is, only FreeCAD developers should talk about "modules" in the specific sense of the code, while the rest, and the documentation, should talk about workbenches.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I still think that, in principle, going forward with this is a good idea, but not in its current form. vocx, keeping in mind that the work you propose will have some administrative burden which should be minimized, perhaps it's a good idea to try to reformulate your proposal based on SMART criteria? I.E. specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, time-bound. And it wouldn't hurt to try to reduce the size and time of your proposal to try to conform to those criteria as much as possible. If things go well, we can just repeat the process.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.