Array - Bug

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Packmers

Array - Bug

Post by Packmers »

Hi
I'm just using the Array- Feature of Path. If I'm right the offset should be the distance to the next item. But the first item is shifted by this offset too.
Is it a bug?
packmers! :roll:
roivai

Re: Array - Bug

Post by roivai »

Packmers wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:32 pm Hi
I'm just using the Array- Feature of Path. If I'm right the offset should be the distance to the next item. But the first item is shifted by this offset too.
Is it a bug?
packmers! :roll:
Not 100% sure if I understood what you mean because just now I cannot start FreeCAD and check.. But if my memory serves me right, the idea was that the original operation will remain active and it will generate the path in the original location. This means that the path in the Array does not need to generate the path in the original location so already the first path copy will be shifted by the offset. I don't know if that is logical at all, but I don't think it is a bug. :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

roivai wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:36 pm But if my memory serves me right, the idea was that the original operation will remain active and it will generate the path in the original location.
Your memory is still ok! Copies made by PathArray are additional copies. That is logical, and it is not a bug, but it is different from Draft array and from linear pattern.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Packmers

Post by Packmers »

So if I want the original too, i need to add it when I generate the G-Code?
roivai

Post by roivai »

Packmers wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:16 pm So if I want the original too, i need to add it when I generate the G-Code?
Yes, just keep both the original and the array operation enabled and when you generate the G-Code with post processor, both the original and the copies will be generated.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I forgot: In tree view you can see the difference to Draft Array. In Draft the source of is below the Array, in Path they are on the same level.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Packmers wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:16 pm So if I want the original too, i need to add it when I generate the G-Code?
If you want original and array you have to do nothing... Path array keeps both, shows both and exports both to the gcode file.
Array_path.jpg
Array_path.jpg (71.12 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
Take a look at the Array settings also. :D
Gruß Herbert