Wheel - SolidWorks and FreeCAD

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Wheel - SolidWorks and FreeCAD

Post by triplus »

Thanks for creating and sharing the tutorial!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Question in Youtube video on quite popular channel

Post by chrisb »

I have given some comments in another topic: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 23#p267823, so far only for the first 20 minutes.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
shiftee

Post by shiftee »

Thanks, hadn't seen that.
As the video creator is participating there I would suggest that all further discussion move to that thread
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Should I merge both topics?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
shiftee

Post by shiftee »

Didn't know that was possible, why not!
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Aside from importing external geometry,

At 19:25, you use an alignment constraint to make a B-Spline normal to a line (axis).

Alternatively, you could have selected the endpoint of the B-Spline, the axis and created a perpendicular constraint.

In this simple case, using alignment does the job finely, but if the line (axis) weren't horizontal, then it wouldn't work.

Of course, if you have no line at all, like in the other end of the b-spline, the only possibility you have is the alignment constraint.

If you had imported external geometry, it should be possible to use this perpendicular constraints between endpoints (you select the endpoint of one external, you select the endpoint of the b-spline, you hit perpendicular constraint).

At 22:17, it is a good example of something that happens sometimes, where a sketch that, as it is constrained should not be a broken face and it is. This is a bug that must be unveiled. You check all the intervening elements, including the path. Generally, it is only a problem of the closed profiles that define the cross-section(s). Many times it suffices to just open the sketch, try to drag one single point, that won't move as the sketch is fully constrained. Close the sketch, repeat the sweep. By the way, checking and redoing goes until 24:50, so more than 2 minutes of productivity time lost because of this bug.

Nice to see such video tutorials.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

At 43:34 you ask how to mirror a sketch.

a) From the Sketch in edit mode, you can select the geometry and constraints you want to mirror, then select the axis or point of symmetry, and hit the symmetry in the "Sketcher tools"

However, generally, you can always do a workflow where you pass these tiring mirroring operations to Part Design. Is not the same in your workflow to do the revolution only with the "top" part, and then do a mirroring transformation of the resulting feature?
Celica_Supra

Post by Celica_Supra »

shiftee wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:51 pm https://youtu.be/7XXnulyKPNI?t=1070

A question was put out in the above video "FreeCAD Tutorial for SolidWorks Users" by user "JOKO Engineering".

The question is:
Is it possible to reference inactive sketches in our current sketch?

CAD videos by this user have anywhere from 10 views to 160k views so hopefully FreeCAD will get some nice exposure regardless
Hi Sorry I was gone for a while haha. Indeed they can- I learned after making the video. Use the import edge button i and click on what you want to import from the sketch. I'll use that in a video I'll upload tomorrow.

Thanks for the comment!
Celica_Supra

Post by Celica_Supra »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:45 pm @Celica_Supra take it another step forward, have you thought about making an indepth side-by-side comparison between FC and Solidworks? Just like you point out in the video that Solidworks 'loft' == FreeCAD 'sweep' as an example of jargon differences.
Hey Kunda, life got busy but I'll be uploading a video covering your suggestion tomorrow. Thanks