Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by realthunder »

ceremcem wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:46 pm Could we somehow help on this? One way is to serve as a rubberduck (as http://rubberduckdebugging.com suggests) at least. IMO, the solution will shine once you (could?) explained the problem to me (us). (In other words, I won't do anything other than listening :) )
Haha, there is actually a website for this. And it does work. I always think that is why Holmes needs Watson.

About the problem, I have already found a potential solution. Still need some test, though.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
OakLD

Post by OakLD »

Haha, I'll have to borrow one of these rubber mentors from my kids next time I'm stuck :-)

I was thinking about the misplaced parts and one strange thing that that baffle my mind why (some) of the parts (or their dejavu copies) are placed in such an odd angle. I then remembered, that my assembly was aligned wit GCS until some very late stage of assembling, when it got somehow misplaced. I think I tried to hide and show some parts around that time.
Just a thought, I'm not sure if it's important.

I still experience extremely long times when using Move tool, I guess it recalculates all assembly solution after any move/rotation even when auto recalc is off (is it?). With such assemblies, you can nearly go have a tea (even with Hi-spec PC) even with simple move of one un-constrained (!) part. As reported months ago, it's same on W7, W10 and OpenSuSE Linux. If above assumption is correct, it would be great if (yet) unconstrained parts can be removed from recalculate trigger and if it was sensitive to setting of auto-recompile button.
The hiding was a result of those desperate low speeds, but it didn't help anyway.

Sorry for not being more specific then this, console doesn't show anything interesting, so it's just what I see.
Regards,

Oak
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

OakLD wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:21 pm I still experience extremely long times when using Move tool, I guess it recalculates all assembly solution after any move/rotation even when auto recalc is off (is it?).
There are a few performance related improvements thanks to ceremcem's report. I will try my best to make a release this month.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

realthunder wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:24 pm I will try my best to make a release this month.
\o/ yey! Awesome!
m.cavallerin

Re: Assembly3 preview:

Post by m.cavallerin »

Hi all,

just a question about link & elements.
As for the wiki page, the author suggests to define elements before starting assembling operations and also tell us to use prior entities on the design stage(phase) as for reduce the impact of topology(?) name modifications due to modelling operations; for this reason he truly suggests to use sketches as it is possible to see in the "Large assembly tutorial".

In any case, is it possible to add a modification to the link "path" inside the element object to redefine it in case of design process modifications? Is it manageable?
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-11-15_05-31-31.png
Screenshot_2018-11-15_05-31-31.png (13.05 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
realthunder
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview:

Post by realthunder »

m.cavallerin wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:34 am In any case, is it possible to add a modification to the link "path" inside the element object to redefine it in case of design process modifications? Is it manageable?
You can select the new geometry in 3D view, and then drag the corresponding tree item and drop it to an existing 'Element' object item. This will modify the 'Element' to point to the new geometry.
m.cavallerin

Post by m.cavallerin »

Easier than expected!

I'm facing another issue about the freezing operation:
When I freeze an assembly, the freezed configuration shows me Parts in other position, what am I missing?

Thx.
Attachments
notFreezed.png
notFreezed.png (50.88 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
freezed.png
freezed.png (56.77 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

m.cavallerin wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:31 am I'm facing another issue about the freezing operation:
When I freeze an assembly, the freezed configuration shows me Parts in other position, what am I missing?
There is a bug in shape combining that has been fixed. I'll try to make a release in this month. Can you please attach your model file and let me test it?
m.cavallerin

Post by m.cavallerin »

Sure, no problem!

I created a .7z file with the 3 components.

Let me know if you face problems.

Thx.
Attachments
testExample.7z
(191.47 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

m.cavallerin wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:38 am Sure, no problem!

I created a .7z file with the 3 components.

Let me know if you face problems.

Thx.
The shape combining works fine now. BTW, when you distribute your file with external links, you must preserve the exact layout of all files, because FC uses relative file path for external linking.