Travis-CI, mac, clang and permanent failure.

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PrzemoF
Veteran

Travis-CI, mac, clang and permanent failure.

Post by PrzemoF »

All Travis-CImac/clang builds fail for the last month. A quick check shows error:

Code: Select all

The job exceeded the maximum log length, and has been terminated.
I checked random 6 builds and they all failed for the same reason. If we can't make the clang/mac build more quiet or travis-ci can't give us more space for log I propose to switch off those mac builds.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Travis-CI, mac, clang and permanent failure.

Post by Kunda1 »

we can also consider purchasing (with some of the funds from bountysource) an account on TravisCI so that we can get longer time-limits
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Time is not the problem anymore - FreeCAD got that for free. Log length is the problem.

Edit: I asked them for advice.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

PrzemoF wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:21 pm Time is not the problem anymore - FreeCAD got that for free. Log length is the problem.
The builds have been failing for some time. There is a packaging problem. Travis updated the version of OSX they use which Peterl94 said is the problem. It looks like now there is a problem with the cache, Travis still seems to be building dependencies when it fails.

Peter said he will not have time to fix this for a while because of dayjob commitments. I think disabling the osx builds temporarily is a good idea, right now we are just wasting resources for no gain.
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Thanks for the explanation.
That's a shame.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

I'm having conversation with travis-ci - they made the same mistake (log --> time). I hope we can get it fixed :D If sgrogan is right it will be just a step to fix the other problem.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Travis support is as always top class!
1) You can pipe the verbose output of your command to a file and display the last 500-1000 lines on build failure, e.g.

script:
  - command ... > cmd_output.txt
after_failure:
  - tail -n 500 cmd_output.txt
2) If you cannot see the error in the last 500-1000 lines of logs, you could upload your entire log file to sites like chunk.io or transfer.sh like this:

script:
  - command ... > cmd_output.txt
after_failure:
  - curl -T cmd_output.txt chunk.io 
The curl command would give you back a chunk.io URL (e.g.http://chunk.io/f/1edae590c82d46deb930b4237828d809) where you can access your whole log file. Ensure you have no sensitive data in your build logs if you use this method. This is probably the best method if you need to preserve your entire log, but if you only really need to see the errors, method 1 is better.
3) Lastly, if you do have sensitive data in the logs, you can upload your command's log output file to S3 using your S3 credentials and our artifacts addon. You can see the documentation on how to do this here: http://docs.travis-ci.com/user/uploading-artifacts/.
Any volunteers to test it? I think it could be handy for all our builds - no need to scroll through tons of logs after a failure. We don't have any sensitive data in the logs, nor we need to keep it, so solution No. 1 is my pick.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

1st solution is effective but 2nd solution will actually help us discover any warnings in the builds...so I vote for solution no.2 in the long run
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

@Kunda1: do you have any service in mind that could take our logs? chunk.io is invite only now.