compile with py3 and Qt5 on Debian Stretch

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

compile with py3 and Qt5 on Debian Stretch

Post by bernd »

What do I need to take care of if compiling against Python3 and Qt5 compared to Python 2.7 and Qt4. Are there any other special packages needed.

bernd
triplus
Veteran

Re: compile with py3 and Qt5 on Debian Stretch

Post by triplus »

More or less it comes down to providing PySide2. PySide2 will be available in Debian Buster. By default. Therefore for seamless FreeCAD compile experience you will likely need to wait another year (Debian Buster). ;)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

You can get hints from kkremitzki's FreeCAD Debian packaging, although it's not Python3 ready.

Build dependencies in the control file: https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/f ... an/control

cMake flags in rules file: https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/f ... bian/rules

As for pyside2, it's already available in Debian unstable. You could always try to repackage it for Stretch, but I don't know the pitfalls on Debian.
https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/pyside2
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Hello!

As far as i know this is not possilbe at the moment.
For QT5 you need pyside2 and shiboken2. They are not available on Debian 9 stable, but for Debian 10 testing. But before changing to Debian 10 testing, the VTK7 dependencies are defect (i can not install them). And when you want to compile it yourself, checkinstall is also not available at the moment on Debian 10 testing.

The next thing, for Python3 on FreeCAD you need a Python3 version from pivy, that you have also compile yourself. The pivy version in Synaptic do not support Python3.

Debian 10 testing with Qt5 and Python2 works fine.

Greetings
user
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Vtk8 should also work ... ;)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

For QT5 you need pyside2 and shiboken2. They are not available on Debian 9 stable, but for Debian 10 testing.
Will it work to get the sources for Debian 10 and compile them locally on Debian 9? What you need are the source tarball from upstream, the packaging files and the .dsc files. Then with dpkg-source and debuild you can build your own .deb files.

The actual question is if there are any unmet dependencies that cannot be resolved on Debian 9.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I will go step by step. ATM I'm trying in a vagrant box to compile with Buster. If I have having success I will try on a vagrant box with Stretch the way werner suggested. On success I will give my working system a try.

thanks guys for all the hints.

bernd
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

A 3/4 year ago, there was some Qt5 dependencies (also pyside2, shiboken2), there was not in stretch (Is that grammatically right? Sounds so wrong). But they was (when i remember accurate) only for the Startworkbench. Means, they are not bonebreakers. But maybe they are now in stretch.
Greetings
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

How do I set Qt5 on Linux cmake?
f3nix

Post by f3nix »

bernd wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:34 pm How do I set Qt5 on Linux cmake?
Hi!

Code: Select all

-DBUILD_QT5=1
You should use a clean build directory.

Cheers,
Mateusz