Wine rack

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Wine rack

Post by chrisb »

Brutha wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:07 am Yes, absolutely, always interested to learn, please fire away!
  • You have repeated the construction of the side pieces. You should have used an array on the body instead. The array can go in two directions which means you could have created all side pieces in one go.
  • The same holds for the other pieces. It's not only about saving steps, it's about having only one place where you have to change the model.
  • The wine rack is symmetric. It is often sensible to place the origin of the coordiante system in the middle of the model. Then some of the arrays mentioned above could have been mirrors. Yet I am not absolutely sure about that, because the arrays should work well. Perhaps can Normand give some recommendations from his experience.
  • In Sketch002 you have repeated measures. You should use equality instead. Even more so, as one of the measures (15mm at the right) is not controlled by an expression.
  • In the same sketch: You use the general distance for horizontal and vertical distances; use the dedicated measures instead.
  • Same situation in the FrontSupports.
  • Sketch0017 in FrontSupport2 has two redundant vertical constraints. They are implied by the equality of the horizontal lines. If you switch to version 0.18 you will be notified by the sketcher if such things occur.
  • Same in FrontSupport3; here you see that an array is sensible.
  • Finally a matter of taste and perhaps robustness which you might consider. The sketches are not really complicated, so you could have modeled them in a single sketch. That increases robustness as no external geometry has to be used - which might break due to topological naming issues.
You have modeled the first bottles of champagne I've seen: To your health!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Brutha

Post by Brutha »

Thanks Chris, there are a lot of useful points there, will keep them in mind!
Brutha

Post by Brutha »

And now in place, armed and ready for Christmas!

winerack.jpg
winerack.jpg (75.29 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Cheers! Always good to see model going "real life".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Rather nice looking Wine workbench you have there. You can i guess always blame some bug, if it will end up being empty, after holidays! ;)
Brutha

Post by Brutha »

Hehe, yes, that's probably why one of the red wines has already gone, I expect it's something to do with this OCC thing I have heard about!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It's the so called topological drinking issue. It leads to unwanted linear patterns doubling what you see.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

And you used rather clever design intent. When one row becomes empty, you can just remove the row. Hence no issues involved! ;)