0.17 release on Kubuntu 18.10 PPA problem

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nukedathlonman

0.17 release on Kubuntu 18.10 PPA problem

Post by nukedathlonman »

I installed the FreeCAD-stable PPA, but the 0.17 release is not showing up in any package manager including Aptitude as an alternative version I can install. I can only install the older release available in Ubuntu's repo's. For giggles, I changed the package base from Cosmic to Bionic and I can see the newer release at that point. I didn't install it from the Bionic repo's given some dependency problems (I only checked to see if it could be). I expected that and not surprised nor am I worried about it given that those packages are for Bionic (18.04) not Cosmic (18.10). But why can't I see the newer 0.17 stable release from the FreeCAD PPA Cosmic branch?
nukedathlonman

Re: 0.17 release on Kubuntu 18.10 PPA problem

Post by nukedathlonman »

Never mind, I looked closer into the status and see that it failed to build the package. Oh well, I'll cut my teeth on the older version. :-)
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Hello nukedathlonman! Welcome to FreeCAD and the forum :)
FreeCAD 0.17 was released before Ubuntu 18.10, when I tried to build 0.17 for 18.10 on the daily PPA it failed and I didn't have time to find the solution :oops:
I would suggest you install the daily PPA: https://launchpad.net/~freecad-maintain ... ecad-daily
There were big changes between 0.16 and 0.17 so learning on the older version is not advised.
The 0.18 dailies are very stable (We are shooting for a release sometime around the end of the year) and 0.18 works the same as 0.17 with some bug-fixes and enhancements.
"fight the good fight"
nukedathlonman

Post by nukedathlonman »

Sure, I'll give it a try. I just didn't want to get too cutting edge given how green I am with CAD in general (literally never played with any form of CAD before). And big thank you (and everyone else) for the time and effort with maintaining PPA's.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

For a newcomer to FreeCAD, the improvements in redundant constraint detection in the Sketcher are worth installing v0.18 by themselves.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

In addition we provide FreeCAD 0.17 in AppImage format. And therefore in such situations you can try it out.