Release of 0.18

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: Release of 0.18

Post by wmayer »

- I still don't get file thumbnails on linux, unless I apply the GL_RGB32F_ARB -> GL_RGBA32F_ARB fix.
The way how things work at the moment is the only reliable way to create the images under Windows with Qt5. So, in case for Linux some fixes are needed the code for Windows must not be changed.
- Tools -> Save picture... still doesn't work for me (no image produced, no error). It seems however to use a different mechanism than the above.
The thumbnail function uses View3DInventorViewer::imageFromFramebuffer which actually works well for me under Windows and Linux.
The Save picture function uses View3DInventorViewer::savePicture which internally can be controlled with a user parameter to either use:
  1. imageFromFramebuffer
  2. Coin's implementation of the off-screen renderer (SoFCOffscreenRenderer)
  3. FreeCAD's implementation of the off-screen renderer (SoQtOffscreenRenderer) which e.g. supports anti-aliasing. For Qt4 it can also be set to either use FBO or pixel buffers.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Regarding bug fixing, the points that matter to me in PartDesign:

• Pad/Pocket up to face using a datum plane doesn't work if the plane is not parallel to the sketch plane, this is an artificial limitation that has no justification and should be removed. This was discussed with Werner a few months ago in a topic, will try to locate it. issue #3177
  • I want to improve error messages in PartDesign so they are more meaningful, discussed here https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32568
  • One error message "Feature is not in a part" is overriding the correct one, it should be deleted or commented out but I don't have the knowledge to do so. See https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32164
yorik wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:31 pm - Wiki seems more or less okay for the release to me
We still have missing command pages to create for the Sketcher, mostly B-spline display tools. I've been slowly working on creating the missing pages.

Then there are a few PartDesign command pages in need of update (transformation tools and dress-up features).

Please don't import the wiki to build the doc package without mentioning it here first, I would really like to have them all completed, and the What'sThis tool to work on most if not all commands in v0.18. Providing us a deadline would be useful.

BTW, how about the discussion we had about splitting off the doc related stuff into a separate repo like Kurt did on Debian?
Last edited by NormandC on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Can we also please do something regarding translation of the website. Since its redesign, it is not possible to translate it in other languages. Thanks.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

NormandC wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:26 pm Can we also please do something regarding translation of the website. Since its redesign, it is not possible to translate it in other languages. Thanks.
Agreed. And once we figure that out can we document it at Localisation#Translate_the_FreeCAD_website please ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

NormandC wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:19 pm Please don't import the wiki to build the doc package without mentioning it here first, I would really like to have them all completed, and the What'sThis tool to work on most if not all commands in v0.18. Providing us a deadline would be useful.
@yorik, maybe you could provide a tutorial to do this? I'd like to give it a try locally.
NormandC wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:19 pm BTW, how about the discussion we had about splitting off the doc related stuff into a separate repo like Kurt did on Debian?
I support this, maybe for 0.19? Anyway combined with the above maybe we could have a few tests during the dev cycle without yorik being saddled with the whole thing?
"fight the good fight"
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

wmayer wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:40 pmThe way how things work at the moment is the only reliable way to create the images under Windows with Qt5. So, in case for Linux some fixes are needed the code for Windows must not be changed.
Ok good to know, thanks. I'll look into both issues later on. Does thumbnail generation work for anyone with Linux+Qt5?
Kunda1 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:21 pmWe need to push new translations to crowdin.
I did it 2 weeks ago, and updated instructions on https://freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?t ... in_Scripts
NormandC wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:26 pmCan we also please do something regarding translation of the website.
Translation file is on crowdin already. I'll merge it this week...
sgrogan wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:38 pm NormandC wrote: ↑
05 Dec 2018, 13:19
Please don't import the wiki to build the doc package without mentioning it here first, I would really like to have them all completed, and the What'sThis tool to work on most if not all commands in v0.18. Providing us a deadline would be useful.

@yorik, maybe you could provide a tutorial to do this? I'd like to give it a try locally.
Ok, will mention here first. It's all in src/Tools/offlinewiki, there are instructions there in the readme. It takes some time, and the update mechanism doesn't work yet (you need to redownload the whole wiki each time).
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

yorik wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:57 am
wmayer wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:40 pmThe way how things work at the moment is the only reliable way to create the images under Windows with Qt5. So, in case for Linux some fixes are needed the code for Windows must not be changed.
Ok good to know, thanks. I'll look into both issues later on. Does thumbnail generation work for anyone with Linux+Qt5?
At the moment I have running a Qt5-based FreeCAD version only in a virtual Ubuntu 18.04 environment and there the creation of thumbnails works without problems. And my native Linux system is too old to have a Qt5 version there (unless I build Qt5 on my own).
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

yorik wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:57 am Does thumbnail generation work for anyone with Linux+Qt5?
Does not work for conda-builds (tested with win and linux. No idea about osx.) But in my eyes it's not a big issue. More like a luxury problem.
yorik wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:31 pm - Tools -> Save picture... still doesn't work for me (no image produced, no error). It seems however to use a different mechanism than the above.
This works for conda-builds (linux, windows)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ok so it seems really dependent on Qt version, for some it works, for some not. In any case indeed the thumbnail generation is more a cosmetic thing. Tools -> Save image is more important, though, it's a real feature.
wmayer wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:24 ammy native Linux system is too old to have a Qt5 version there
Now you got me curious :) Slackware?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Are we taking bets? :D I say Ubuntu 14.04.