Hole, no hole, hole?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
OldDraftsman

Hole, no hole, hole?

Post by OldDraftsman »

OK, this is weird -- I think. I have 2 adjoining bodies and I put a cylinder overlapping them and Pad it Symmetrical to Plane. All good. But when I try to put a smaller cylinder inside the other and Cut, it does not fully open through one object. I tried using Subtractive Cylinder and still no good.

It does not want to cut the vertical walls, yet, it does project the Cyinders into both objects.
Is it something I am not doing?
hole.jpg
hole.jpg (45.47 KiB) Viewed 480 times
no-hole-kinda.fcstd
(40.96 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15302 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 2e03d2f298677b8212c22cbbc3cb20b7c80eabb5
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Dyslexics of the World Untie.
a3bksll47

Re: Hole, no hole, hole?

Post by a3bksll47 »

I've found with booleans that sometimes working on them in a newly created file separate from the current project and then merging them back to the latter solves the problem.
OldDraftsman

Post by OldDraftsman »

a3bksll47 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:51 pm I've found with booleans that sometimes working on them in a newly created file separate from the current project and then merging them back to the latter solves the problem.
Thanks, I went to the underlying object and created a partial hole. That will be good enough as it is only for water to enter. But, I feel the partial hole might not be an intentional "feature." :)
Dyslexics of the World Untie.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

OldDraftsman wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:48 pm It does not want to cut the vertical walls, yet, it does project the Cyinders into both objects.
Everything ok here. The subrtactive cylinder starts in Body001 at a height of 28 mm and goes all through the bigger cylinder.

Please note, that it does not affect the other body!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.