FreeCAD Website Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Website Design

Post by Kunda1 »

:thumbsup:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

I wonder if the "See what's new" video should open full screen?

On that note should we put out a call for a 0.18 video, I had forgotten how cool the existing one is.
"fight the good fight"
AR795

Post by AR795 »

sgrogan wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:11 pm I wonder if the "See what's new" video should open full screen?
On that note should we put out a call for a 0.18 video, I had forgotten how cool the existing one is.
I think Bootstrap has a dialog component, perhaps the video can be displayed as an overlay dialog? A section for 0.18 can be added too, though what should be included and where, can be discussed. A few hints can also be taken from blender.org where they promote the upcoming 2.8 release.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

triplus wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:11 pm As we didn't change the approach, likely the way it always worked. Yorik would i guess need to run some script, for the strings to emerge on Crowdin.
Thank you for your so very useful information, Captain Obvious. :roll:
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

NormandC wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:04 pm Thank you for your so very useful information, Captain Obvious. :roll:
You're welcome.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

sgrogan wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:11 pm I wonder if the "See what's new" video should open full screen?

Agreed. Also I think we should make a container for it to display a static preview screen instead of a text link.
We have enough space on the page to do that.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I guess the problem is we don't have FreeCAD 0.19 release video. Therefore that link will likely get removed anyway.

P.S. Or i guess some eager video producer could still change all that! ;)
AR795

Post by AR795 »

I was thinking of going for a modal dialog approach where, users click on the video link and a popup dialog appears that shows the video. Not sure if this is the best approach, I still have to test it myself. Or the video can be embedded somewhere below the download button and directly displayed instead of a text link.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

AR795 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:21 pm I was thinking of going for a modal dialog approach where, users click on the video link and a popup dialog appears that shows the video. Not sure if this is the best approach, I still have to test it myself. Or the video can be embedded somewhere below the download button and directly displayed instead of a text link.
This sounds good, but I would not spend too much effort yet, as we don't have an 0.18 release video yet. For 0.18 this might be changed to a link to the release notes. In that case we would probably ask you to style the release notes, like you've done with the download page ;)

It's a minor issue, I just noticed linking to youtube was kinda meh after your other improvements.
"fight the good fight"
dublya

Post by dublya »

just wanted to say how nice the website looks and works. well done people!