Design tree navigation

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mariusz.dec

Design tree navigation

Post by mariusz.dec »

Hi all,
I have few suggestions for tree navigation in FreeCAD

1. Activating project
When there is a more than one project opened, there is a possibiilty to accidentally delete, copy etc. objects from NOT active, but visible tree of the another project.
Unfortunatelly I did it many times, so I have decided to write it here as an idea to improve FreeCAD.
There are two possibilites:
- disable actions on the not active projects
or
- make this second project active while such missclick - change of the screens helps to eliminates such mistakes.

2. Searching objects in the projects tree
I am working with PCB's when models usually contains more than 1000 elements. Each element is named like in eCAD software.
Finding on the PCB is easy, after click on this object, object in tree activates (is selected), but view of the tree dont' changes.
If node with this element is colapsed, selected object is invisible.

So my suggestion is to expand full node when clicking on the any object in the 3D view
or
make a simple Find in the tree using object name.

Regards
Mariusz
triplus
Veteran

Re: Design tree navigation

Post by triplus »

Hi Mariusz,
mariusz.dec wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:54 am 1. Activating project
When there is a more than one project opened, there is a possibiilty to accidentally delete, copy etc. objects from NOT active, but visible tree of the another project.
Unfortunatelly I did it many times, so I have decided to write it here as an idea to improve FreeCAD.
Starting with FreeCAD 0.18, only the tree for active document is presented to the end user.

make a simple Find in the tree using object name.
In FreeCAD 0.18 such feature was already added. Right clicking on the top (document) item in the tree view (combo view) and select the Search menu entry.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You probably use 0.17. Please add your full FreeCAD info to such posts so that others know where your starting point is.
mariusz.dec wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:54 am When there is a more than one project opened, there is a possibiilty to accidentally delete, copy etc. objects from NOT active, but visible tree of the another project.
Implemented in 0.18.
View->Panels->Selection view
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Note that some of us, providing support, don't require FreeCAD info up front. And only ask for it when need.

P.S. I feel it makes sense to mention this from time to time. ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

triplus wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:26 am P.S. I feel it makes sense to mention this from time to time. ;)
You are very right from a general point of view and the second point is an example for this. However, for the first point the answer would have been completely different for 0.18.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

With experience, usually your assumption filter improves. In martial arts (movies), to prove ultimate skill, you usually are blind sided. You get less info and are required to produce more results. ;) Gearing new users toward such goal makes sense in my opinion. As otherwise we just educate a bunch of new users to ask for FreeCAD info. Like that is more important, by itself, compared to actually investing the effort and provide support.

Anyway, my FreeCAD info related discussion quota has been reached for a while. That is "others" comes down to some doing it in one way and some in another way. Basically we are talking about personal preference, and both ways should be respected, when done in some reasonable way.
mariusz.dec

Post by mariusz.dec »

Hi Friends,
thank you for answers.
Sorry for no information about version of the FreeCAD.
I have started with 0.15 without successes and after two years I am back.
Using 0.17, starting at June 2018, I have did few projects and I love FreeCAD very much :D.
I understand that my many more problems exists because I am still newbe.

I have had problems when I have coinstalled 0.15 and 0.17.
Please let me know if 0.17 and 0.18 together are safe for work?

Regards
Mariusz

Edited:
I did a footer :)
Last edited by mariusz.dec on Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can use both 0.17 and 0.18, but I would recommend to use only 0.18. It is the same workflow, many bugs have been eliminated, and the sketcher is vastly improved, especially for newbies.
regis

Post by regis »

triplus wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:24 am Hi Mariusz,
mariusz.dec wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:54 am
1. Activating project
Starting with FreeCAD 0.18, only the tree for active document is presented to the end user.
I was very excited of this change when I noticed it. Thanks to those who felt the same and helped fix it.
triplus wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:26 am Quote triplus
by triplus » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:26 am

Note that some of us, providing support, don't require FreeCAD info up front. And only ask for it when need.

P.S. I feel it makes sense to mention this from time to time.
Yes for experienced users we just notice certain changes over time. :D

mariusz.dec wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:36 pm Using 0.17, starting at June 2018, I have did few projects and I love FreeCAD very much .
That's the strange thing about freecad or open source, it is the unexplicable falling in love with it. :lol:
And that dive makes your discovery a bliss.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

triplus wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:26 am Note that some of us, providing support, don't require FreeCAD info up front. And only ask for it when need.
triplus, please receive my excuse for my answer to your post above. I had not realized that you had already answered the questions. :oops:
mariusz.dec wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:36 pm Edited:
I did a footer :)
That is tempting, but as soon as you update your version and change the footer accordingly all of your posts including the old ones show the new footer, possibly making them incomprehensible.