FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
looo
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by looo »

Looks great. The gear is too small. But I can live without the gear. Also in the current logo the gear doesn't look like an involute gear. Users can get the impression of FreeCAD beeing a software without much precision...So I am all in for the cube idea, but I am not the one to be convinced. :D
regis

Post by regis »

Ol_at_FC wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:11 pm Hello everybody

I'm learning FreeCAD and stumbled upon this forum thread. So like many newcomers before me I thought I'll have fun as well.

Cheers
Ol

FreeCAD_logo_1200x2000px.png
Nice logo. I really dig this logo. Really creative and pretty recognizable. I see you went for game app icon feel. So sleek.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Ol_at_FC wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:11 pm Hello everybody

I'm learning FreeCAD and stumbled upon this forum thread. So like many newcomers before me I thought I'll have fun as well.

Cheers
Ol

FreeCAD_logo_1200x2000px.png
Nice proposal. Artwork by itself looks good. Using the cube approach was mentioned/proposed a few times in the past. At small sizes i could see a potential problem of not being recognizable. "Game" alike feel is something i can observe too. I am not sure if the proposal will become official logo at some point in the future. But it's a quality made proposal and therefore thanks for investing the effort.
regis

Post by regis »

Indeed although this logo is a hard one to replace and mist go through many checks and balances by mostly all in the community, I think your logo designs skills should definitely not be discarded. I there could be some work benches logos design that can use some of ur love. Basically that kind of logo can be a template approach for work bench logos perhaps? Of what if there was an entire work bench which requires consistency in style in their icons? But let me know if there are other aspects you prefer to look at aswell and use ur logo skills on there. I am just trying to look for nice venues without disrupting the great worms that have already been done in the past

Also won't mind getting a personalized logo from u aswell to go on a printed t-shirt. But one task at a time :-)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I personally would vote to switch to OI's logo. It is a really professional work and still has a strong connection to the old one. And although it looses details at 16x16px, it is still instantly recognizable. In a menu with 30 apps, you would easily find it.

Why not vote?
regis

Post by regis »

yorik wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:59 pm I personally would vote to switch to OI's logo. It is a really professional work and still has a strong connection to the old one. And although it looses details at 16x16px, it is still instantly recognizable. In a menu with 30 apps, you would easily find it.

Why not vote?
Hehe if its me I would definitely vote in favor of the new logo from OI. It's pretty dope and sleek.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

:thumbsup: OI logo
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

yorik wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:59 pm I personally would vote to switch to OI's logo. It is a really professional work and still has a strong connection to the old one. And although it looses details at 16x16px, it is still instantly recognizable. In a menu with 30 apps, you would easily find it.

Why not vote?
It's really like it. It has all FreeCAD logo needs - FC letters, CAD reference (cube), colours, "laser" cut of the gear. The old one is good, but the Ol's one is better.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

+1 Ol's logo
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

Also I vote for OI's logo.
I would suggest a bigger font when the mane is at the bottom part of the design.

Also. Be sure the fonts are open fonts.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project