Collaborative CAD platform

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Re: Collaborative CAD platform

Post by paullee »

Thanks.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

gflorent wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:31 pm The WebGL export I use is PythonOCC based (mostly an adaptation of code from T. Paviot). If PythonOCC was still reachable from FreeCAD, life would be easy;-) Yet, adapting the PythonOCC way to FreeCAD should be possible since the APIs, though different, carry some common logic. I add that to my 2019 todo list!
Good to hear that.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Would it read ifc model?

Thanks.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

gflorent wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:31 pm Thanks for wishing good luck !
The WebGL export I use is PythonOCC based (mostly an adaptation of code from T. Paviot). If PythonOCC was still reachable from FreeCAD, life would be easy;-) Yet, adapting the PythonOCC way to FreeCAD should be possible since the APIs, though different, carry some common logic. I add that to my 2019 todo list!
I know we discussed this before, but if just PythonOCC and OCC used in FreeCAD matches this problem should go away. If it would help I should be able to provide a Win build that does this. It's also possible on Linux, I'm just not sure how to package it.
"fight the good fight"
gflorent

Post by gflorent »

paullee wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:23 pm Would it read ifc model?

Thanks.
Not yet. I would have to investigate the IFC format or to find an open source IFC reader (IfcOpenShell ?). This would be quite interesting as I understand IFC as a domain specific Product Data Model based on STEP/EXPRESS. Probably some ideas of IFC could be re-used for other domains ...
gflorent

Post by gflorent »

sgrogan wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:50 pm I know we discussed this before, but if just PythonOCC and OCC used in FreeCAD matches this problem should go away. If it would help I should be able to provide a Win build that does this. It's also possible on Linux, I'm just not sure how to package it.
If building a WebGL exporter, I believe it should be useful for mainstream FreeCAD. If developping on a specific branch/version, the usefulness would be limited to this branch/version. What do you think? Or maybe I misunderstood your proposal?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Quick question: what about doing something like SweetHome3D did: http://www.sweethome3d.com/blog/2016/05 ... ug_in.html
Uses webgl
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

gflorent wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:16 pm If building a WebGL exporter, I believe it should be useful for mainstream FreeCAD. If developping on a specific branch/version, the usefulness would be limited to this branch/version. What do you think? Or maybe I misunderstood your proposal?
Perhaps I misunderstood.
I was thinking you were proposing a complete web based solution where you would be running FreeCAD headless on the server. If your talking about incorporating this into FreeCAD master, making PythonOCC a dependency of FreeCAD this is far more difficult.

There is also this https://github.com/LaughlinResearch/pyOCCT. It would still be a packaging nightmare to keep all the cross-dependencies resolved.
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

PythonOCC is developed by the same person who owns the OCE Github repo. I wouldn't be surprised if PythonOCC was not compatible with OCCT > 6.9.1. It is still based on OCE 0.18.x which is itself based on OCCT 6.9.1. FreeCAD has long pulled away from OCE and gone back to OCCT for this reason.
gflorent

Post by gflorent »

microelly2 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:51 am
nemesis wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:34 am what is the Error 500?
I get this error when I display a FreeCAD-file which contains only a mesh.
The meshes are stored in BMS fomat (Binary Mesh) in the zipped FCSTD file (Just like the parts are stored in BREP format). Do you know any other way than headless FreeCAD to get to a JSON for WebGL? (I am really unfamiliar with this BMS format)