FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by Kunda1 »

AR795 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:05 pm I added Ol's logo to GitHub pages for testing. Here's the new link (older links are no longer valid):
https://sharazali.github.io/FreeCAD-Homepage/
I wonder if the shaded portion between the F and the C could be lighter..like white. Maybe that would differentiate them a little more clearly and cleanly... when the logo is that small ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
AR795

Post by AR795 »

I changed the shaded portion to white. The letters in Ol's logo are more tightly packed together compared to the current FreeCAD logo, so at smaller sizes it can be a little difficult to recognize them. Changes can be seen here: https://sharazali.github.io/FreeCAD-Homepage/
Ol_at_FC

Post by Ol_at_FC »

Thank you all for your comments.

Even though white outline looks good on some backgrounds, personally I don't think that it is the right way to go. The logo should have as few variants as possible to maintain recognisability and consistency on different media. Black outline came from the current logo and from the FreeCAD itself (black outline of objects).

FC_web.png
FC_web.png (141.25 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
FC_web_2.png
FC_web_2.png (149.61 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
FC_web_forum.png
FC_web_forum.png (101.69 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
FC_web_3.png
FC_web_3.png (149.14 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
Ol_at_FC

Post by Ol_at_FC »

Here are vector logos with wordmark and cleaned up smaller bitmap logos.
FC_small_logos.png
FC_small_logos.png (7.42 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
Attachments
Ol-at-FC_FreeCAD_logo-wordmark_color_vert.svg
(4.71 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Ol-at-FC_FreeCAD_logo-wordmark_color_hor.svg
(4.75 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ol_at_FC wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:07 am FC_web.png (141.25 KiB)
I like this one
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

yorik wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:09 pm
Ol_at_FC wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:07 am FC_web.png (141.25 KiB)
I like this one
AFAIK it's the same one, just a bit bigger. Therefore at small size the proposal i guess could improve.
Ol_at_FC wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:09 am Here are vector logos with wordmark and cleaned up smaller bitmap logos.
Best to test this one on homepage. Not enlarged. We can still use enlarged one in the future. If it will make sense. But there should exist a solution for small size too.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

I updated the logo style on github pages for testing.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

AR795 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:02 pm I updated the logo style on github pages for testing.
Let's publish it on the official website! :D
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I think we should wait to launch the new logo. Let people know that we are changing it. Use it for more publicity.

We also have to consider changing the logo in many other places (docs, .wiki, appstream files, etc...)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
dublya

Post by dublya »

Wow, I jus walked thru all 20 pages... great work people! Love seeing all the designs.

As for a freecad mark, I have 3 thoughts I wanted to share.

1. Letters. Letters are overdone in the icon world, especially in, oddly enough, the design apps. Ai, Ps, F ( autodesk fusion360), F (Figma)
2. The caliper is the single, best physical object to indicate a 3d modeling app, imho. If anyone has a better candidate, I would love to know of it.

3. The final thought is regarding the name, FreeCad. This describes what the app is: its a free, as in libre, computer assisted deisgn tool. There is also of course librecad, libreoffice, librecmc, so this notion of putting free before the tool category is fairly common.

But really, a name does not have to describe or categorize something anymore than a mark or icon has to use the first letter of that name.

For instance, look at Blender and its mark at blender.org. Or Sketch and its mark at sketchapp.com Or the new sketch/figma app being built from the ground up for linux called Akira https://github.com/Alecaddd/akira

Both blender and akira are fully open and free software, forever, but the word free or libre is no longer necessary, it's implied. Of course we are free and open source, like all the best software. It's understood. Not to say that libre should not be clearly stated in a tagline, just that it doesn't have to be part of the name anymore.

So with these thoughts in mind, Im suggesting we begin to consider a new name along with the new mark and icon.

One name that keeps coming to mind, again seeing it along side Blender and hopefully Akira, is this:

Modeler
Your free and open 3d modeling app, formerly known as FreeCad

Or maybe Modelo

modelerapp.org and modeloapp.org are both available.

Finally, the last thing I want to do is offend anyone who been here many years longer than I have, hammering away diligently with out pay to make this app the amazing, outstanding, and basically mind-bogglingly rad piece of the software that it is. I am only suggesting that the name and mark continue to evolve to reflect the maturity of the app and secure its rightful seat in the modern pantheon of free and open source apps.

A big thanks to all those folks. It took me about a year to get the hang of freecad and then its just kind of clicked. Now I just love it.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15697 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: dedaa807629ab25cf32977d30bf7610f1346aff7
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)