Chocolatey - Windows Package Manager that FreeCAD can be installed from

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
redbaron2

Re: Chocolatey - Windows Package Manager that FreeCAD can be installed from

Post by redbaron2 »

sgrogan wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:43 pm ...
More distribution channels are good for FreeCAD, as long as they are quality "re-distributions". Chocolatey seems to be this.

If they could offer "freecad-daily" similar to what we do on the PPA that would be great. One of their pluses is to vet the packages, so I don't know how realistic this is to their model.

If the Chocolatey team "reaches in" here I can try to help, but I don't have the bandwidth to "reach-out"
I am working on modifying the current FreeCAD Chocolatey Package to be able to install the Development version and the stable versions of FreeCAD. The GitHub user luzpaz mentioned that I should reach out to the FreeCAD Forum user sgrogan who mentioned above about "freecad-daily". I'm interested in adding this to the Chocolatey Package, but I can't find any links to windows "freecad-daily"

Thanks for the Assistance
RedBaron
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

redbaron2 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:59 pm Thanks for the Assistance
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.18_pre
I upload the builds manually so it's not quite "daily", maybe 4-5 times a week. There is no installer for these "developer" builds. 7zip offers good compression.

What's necessary to make this easier?
"fight the good fight"
redbaron2

Post by redbaron2 »

sgrogan wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:17 am https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.18_pre
I upload the builds manually so it's not quite "daily", maybe 4-5 times a week. There is no installer for these "developer" builds. 7zip offers good compression.

What's necessary to make this easier?
So the URL for the FreeCAD releases is a good URL to detect all releases Dev & Stable?
The Dev releases seem as though they are much like a portable application. They just need to be unzipped to the directory of the users choice.

The general Directory for these Dev releases would be ??? sgrogan ???

The Stable releases have a dedicated installer.

I just need to do some testing with the Chocolatey installing script to switch between the Dev and the Stable versions.

Thanks all for the help.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

redbaron2 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:23 am So the URL for the FreeCAD releases is a good URL to detect all releases Dev & Stable?
The main URL https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases
The 0.18_pre builds are here https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.18_pre
The 0.17 stable release is here https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.17

You are correct that the 0.18_pre builds are portable. This makes it easy for the user to have the stable release and developer builds side by side.
Also note that there are two versions of the x64 package the Conda_PY3QT5 are preferred.

When we release 0.18 the 0.18_pre will go away. A 0.18 release and a 0.19_pre will be added.
"fight the good fight"
redbaron2

Post by redbaron2 »

sgrogan wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:06 pm ...
Also note that there are two versions of the x64 package the Conda_PY3QT5 are preferred.
This is by recommendation or your preferred version to use?
I can work on have it be a user switch to grab the `Conda_PY3QT5` version of the x64 in the Dev package.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

redbaron2 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:20 am This is by recommendation or your preferred version to use?
Both. Both QT4 and PY2 are nearing end of life, so FreeCAD will be moving in this direction on all platforms.
"fight the good fight"
redbaron2

Post by redbaron2 »

I asked in the Chocolatey forum, but I will ask here too.

The `dev` versions don't install perse.
  • Would the user like to have a application shortcut on the Desktop, Start Menu, or Both?
  • Also would they like it in a custom directory location?
  • My other question is about uninstalling a `dev` version. Would the user like to have the application just deleted directory & shortcuts?
  • Just the directory?
  • Just the shortcuts?
I will await your reply on how to proceed with the package un/install questions
--
RB
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

redbaron2 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:35 pm I will await your reply on how to proceed with the package un/install questions
Thanks for the progress on this. I wonder if more FreeCAD windows folks can weigh in on this?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

redbaron2 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:35 pm I will await your reply on how to proceed with the package un/install questions
Kunda1 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:15 pm Thanks for the progress on this. I wonder if more FreeCAD windows folks can weigh in on this?
It would be good to have the users decide. Automatic, delta updates, would be the ideal.
"fight the good fight"
redbaron2

Post by redbaron2 »

sgrogan wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:29 pm It would be good to have the users decide. Automatic, delta updates, would be the ideal.
I'm sorry to say, but Automatic, delta updates is a different language to me. I don't know what you mean by it. If delta updates refers to something else other than https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases for the windows development channel. I am completely lost.

I will setup the package to include Package Parameters that will allow the installing user to decide were to have FreeCAD to be installed.
Does the exe install have a directory option/switch?

Thanks for the assistance.
RB