Where would this code go if implemented?

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Sketcher Solver Architecture Booklet

Post by abdullah »

Hi folks!!

During the days I have been offline, I have produced a booklet about the Sketcher solver.
fc-solver-latex.pdf
(302.57 KiB) Downloaded 757 times
From time to time, somebody asks about the solver and how to implement this brilliant idea to improve it. However, the solver has a step learning curve and this many times discourages people.

It is not exhaustive. It is just a walk to put in perspective what happens at solver level and how it supports the functions required by the Sketcher.

If you like math mixed with code snippets and abdullah's typical endless sentences give it a try :lol:
paullee
Veteran

Re: Sketcher Solver Architecture Booklet

Post by paullee »

Hi, thanks for books - downloaded and attempted to understand due to a problem in sketcher (trying 'MovePoint' an arc result in error) but it is far from my knowledge level :oops:

Not sure if the problem is related to Solver itself as indicated by ChrisG or otherwise, stuck for days, see if you may have a gap to have a look.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 2&t=32814

Thanks in advance.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Dear Abdullah,
thanks for that document! On page 1 you forgot in the enumeration point g): People who are interested to know how the solver works.

Are you interested in very minor corrections? I would send them by PM to not spoil this topic. It may take some time, because I haven't yet read further than page 8.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:41 am Dear Abdullah,
thanks for that document! On page 1 you forgot in the enumeration point g): People who are interested to know how the solver works.

Are you interested in very minor corrections? I would send them by PM to not spoil this topic. It may take some time, because I haven't yet read further than page 8.
Yep, curiosity is quite a driving factor. You may add it if you wish...;)

Sure it should accommodate corrections. It is conceived as a live collaboration document...You may PR all your changes directly:
https://github.com/abdullahtahiriyo/Fre ... ree/master
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Nice!
Maybe it's worth including into FreeCAD master?
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

DeepSOIC wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:47 pm Nice!
Maybe it's worth including into FreeCAD master?
There is part rather devoted to your DeriVector2.

I am not sure it is a great idea to mix this with the code. Anyway I do not have an strong opinion. If you folks think it is the way to go I am fine with it.

I have no problem in transferring the repo to the FreeCAD organisation either, so that LateX books are community managed.

Somehow it may make better sense from the access point of view to be in a separate repository, so that the folks managing documentation have the right access privileges and avoid annoying code reviewers with commits of books.

I am happy with anything. :D :D :D
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Amazing work Abdullah! :o Keeping it here for reading later...
I think it doesn't matter much where it's hosted, but should definitely be mentioned on the wiki somewhere (in the developers hub maybe)
Mark Szlazak

Where would this code go if implemented?

Post by Mark Szlazak »

Where would this coding technique go for reducing geometric constraint systems if implemented for FreeCAD? Is this something one would have to do to Open Cascade?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Where would this code go if implemented?

Post by chrisb »

This seems to belong to Sketcher's solver. Read https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 22#p274416 about solver details.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Mark Szlazak

Re: Where would this code go if implemented?

Post by Mark Szlazak »

chrisb wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:07 pm This seems to belong to Sketcher's solver. Read https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 22#p274416 about solver details.
Great! Thanks Chris. Could you merge this into the tread you mentioned?