Freecad 0.17 - Pad up to face - Datum Plane is invalid

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Site Admin
Posts: 14423
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Freecad 0.17 - Pad up to face - Datum Plane is invalid

Postby wmayer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:38 am

NormandC wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:58 pm
Thanks for the info. Should I create a separate Mantis report about it then? I really see no logical reason for purposely making this limitation.
No, your comment in the above PR is sufficient.
vectronic
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:44 pm

Re: Freecad 0.17 - Pad up to face - Datum Plane is invalid

Postby vectronic » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:46 pm

@NortmandC thanks for checking out my example.

NormandC wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:33 pm
This is a separate, third issue that does not depend on the datum plane: even if you select a face on the body, it fails to pad the second cylinder.
Shall I/can I raise an issue for this?

NormandC wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:33 pm
BTW is there a specific reason why the second set of circles is not constrained to the horizontal sketch axis, but is on a line only angled 0.0165833 degrees from the horizontal? This angle value is so negligible as to suggest some error...
This is just because I quickly placed the repeated pattern in the sketch with a mouse and didn't check the constraint it generated. I don't think it should cause this issue..?
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 18534
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Freecad 0.17 - Pad up to face - Datum Plane is invalid

Postby NormandC » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:33 pm

vectronic wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:46 pm
Shall I/can I raise an issue for this?
Sorry, I forgot this topic.

I am unable to reproduce your issue with a file made from scratch.

Can you reproduce it with a new file? If you can't, I'd hold off creating a report. Maybe there's something else in your file.

vectronic wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:46 pm
This is just because I quickly placed the repeated pattern in the sketch with a mouse and didn't check the constraint it generated. I don't think it should cause this issue..?
No, but it is poor constraining.
vectronic
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:44 pm

Re: Freecad 0.17 - Pad up to face - Datum Plane is invalid

Postby vectronic » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:46 pm

Hello again,

Ok, here are some clean examples:

"00 pad from datum plane to xyplane with single sketch item does not work" => the pad exists but continues through the xy plane (I think this is an issue)

"01 pad from xyplane to datum plane with single sketch item works" => this is ok

"02 pad from xyplane to datum plane with two sketch items does not work" => if a second sketch item is added to example 01, it does not appear in the pad. If you try to change this to a dimension based pad, a message says "Pad: Result has multiple solids. This is not supported." (I think this should have the same alert for the up to face case).

"03 pad from datum plane and body to datum plane with single sketch item works" => this is ok

"04 pad from datum plane and body to datum plane with two sketch items does not work" => if a second sketch item is added to example 03, it does not appear in the pad. If you change this to a dimension based pad, both items appear. (I think both items should render for the up to face case).

Hope this helps.

OS: macOS High Sierra (10.13)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.5235 (Git shallow)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 94fa640)
Hash: 94fa64077b748fd2385a83a82e8affffe2ac06db
Python version: 2.7.15
Qt version: 5.11.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
Attachments
04 pad from datum plane and body to datum plane with two sketch items does not work.FCStd
(15.21 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
03 pad from datum plane and body to datum plane with single sketch item works.FCStd
(14.65 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
02 pad from xyplane to datum plane with two sketch items does not work.FCStd
(9.04 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
01 pad from xyplane to datum plane with single sketch item works.FCStd
(8.28 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
00 pad from datum plane to xyplane with single sketch item does not work.FCStd
(8.31 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Jee-Bee
Posts: 1911
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:32 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Freecad 0.17 - Pad up to face - Datum Plane is invalid

Postby Jee-Bee » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:49 am

Freecad don't support multiple objects in a single sketch.
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 18534
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Freecad 0.17 - Pad up to face - Datum Plane is invalid

Postby NormandC » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:00 am

That's not true. Multiple objects can be created in a sketch. It's only PartDesign that does not currently support multiple solids (for historical and technical reasons). So if padding a sketch would create more than one solid, then it will alert the user. But Part Extrude can generate as many solids as you want.

@vectronic I will try to study your post and files later this weekend.
freecad-heini-1
Posts: 5587
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:10 am
Contact:

Re: Freecad 0.17 - Pad up to face - Datum Plane is invalid

Postby freecad-heini-1 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:16 am

wmayer wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:57 am
The bug is fixed with git commit fe2660b46 and was part of issue #0003177
vectronic
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:44 pm

Re: Freecad 0.17 - Pad up to face - Datum Plane is invalid

Postby vectronic » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:05 am

Just following up on this again.

Trying with FreeCAD_0.18-15310.c88a64e-OSX-x86_64-Qt5.dmg I still the issue described in my previous comment on this thread and in the simple attached example - The second sketch item does not appear when padding up to face. If you change this to a dimension based pad, both items appear.

The fact it works for a dimension based pad would indicate that what I am trying to do is supported in PartDesign, and that there is a bug related to padding up to face.

I also see the same issue when performing an up to face pocket instead of a dimension pocket (screenshots attached).

OS: macOS 10.14
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15310 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at c88a64e8e)
Hash: c88a64e8e7a3bb66a23b965b655b5a5040dfa4d2
Python version: 2.7.15
Qt version: 5.11.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
Attachments
up to face pocket does not work on multple items in sketch.png
up to face pocket does not work on multple items in sketch.png (323.28 KiB) Viewed 375 times
dimenson pocket works on multple items in sketch.png
dimenson pocket works on multple items in sketch.png (353.67 KiB) Viewed 375 times
04 pad from datum plane and body to datum plane with two sketch items does not work.FCStd
(15.21 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
abdullah
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 3:16 pm

Re: Freecad 0.17 - Pad up to face - Datum Plane is invalid

Postby abdullah » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:37 pm

NormandC wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:08 am
freecad-heini-1 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:34 am
It's impossible to use a datum plane. Is it a bug, or forgotten during development, or should I ask for a feature request?
It works for me in the following test file. I wonder if it's because the Pad feature is based on an existing solid? I'm afraid I don't have time to test further.
I guess this is what is intended:
Screenshot_20181216_132939.png
Screenshot_20181216_132939.png (38.68 KiB) Viewed 341 times
The OCCT function that does the right shape wants to have a base feature. For this reason another function was used when no base feature was available. This other function did not support the inclined up to face.

I tricked the OCCT function doing the right shape into thinking the face defined by the sketch is the base feature. It may well fuse with it. The result is BOP check ok for me.

I am a deep OCCT ignorant, so maybe I broke other things. I will just PR the patch so that somebody who knows better takes a look...