Release of 0.18

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

Re: Release of 0.18

Post by bernd »

abdullah wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:56 pm Remaining "experimental" strings in: a) "place a robot" (Robot WB) and b) Calculix FEM solver (FEM WB)
it is not really experimental but we have two CalculiX solvers in FEM a well tested "Standard" CalculiX solver and the new one. The experimental is just to make new user use the Standard CalculiX solver instead the new one. The standard one has lots of tests if an analysis is set up the right way. If some one has a better word I'm happy to use it instead of experimental.

bernd
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:55 pm What a high quality we have can be seen from this commit. We have reached a state where we can discuss such minor things smoothing the application.
:+1:

The current master is almost 2,000 commits above 0.17! Historically, this can be seen as a big release. It has seen improvement in multiple workbenches; PartDesign may be an orphan, but it did get quite a few very useful bug fixes.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Strings are updated on crowdin.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ok I just found the culprit of the different graphics issues I had: The mesa graphics driver. Switching to the nvidia proprietary driver solves all the issues (thumbs, screenshots, etc). I could have checked that earlier... :| In any case it's good to have Abdullah's fix because the vast majority of linux computers run on the mesa one...
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

abdullah wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:23 pm Cmake desperately wanted to use python 2.7. If anybody is interested, I tamed cmake like this:

Code: Select all

cmake ../freecadsource/ -DBUILD_QT5=ON -DPYTHON_CONFIG_SUFFIX=".cpython-36m-x86_64-linux-gnu" -DPYTHON_BASENAME=".cpython-36m-x86_64-linux-gnu" -DOCC_INCLUDE_DIR="/usr/include/occt" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="DEBUG" -DFREECAD_USE_OCCT_VARIANT="Official" -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE="/usr/bin/python3.6"
You have to start from an empty folder. Otherwise you will end up with python 3.6 as executable with python 2.7 libraries, which will fail.
Haven't tested it yet, but needed procedure likely has improved slightly:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 30#p271373
yorik wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:46 pm Ok I just found the culprit of the different graphics issues I had: The mesa graphics driver. Switching to the nvidia proprietary driver solves all the issues (thumbs, screenshots, etc). I could have checked that earlier... :| In any case it's good to have Abdullah's fix because the vast majority of linux computers run on the mesa one...
Yeah, if we would use some more demanding viewport, likely most of Linux/macOS and end users using older cards and some Intel GPUs on Windows. Such end users would not be able to use FreeCAD as intended.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

abdullah wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:23 pm

Code: Select all

cmake ../freecadsource/ -DBUILD_QT5=ON -DPYTHON_CONFIG_SUFFIX=".cpython-36m-x86_64-linux-gnu" -DPYTHON_BASENAME=".cpython-36m-x86_64-linux-gnu" -DOCC_INCLUDE_DIR="/usr/include/occt" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="DEBUG" -DFREECAD_USE_OCCT_VARIANT="Official" -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE="/usr/bin/python3.6"
very cool, this helped myself to get get my first FreeCAD with Py3 compiled ... :D
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

python3-pivy has finally made it into Debian Unstable, so I'd say we're ready for a release in terms of packaging. What else is left?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:18 pmWhat else is left?
MacOS.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:18 pm python3-pivy has finally made it into Debian Unstable, so I'd say we're ready for a release in terms of packaging. What else is left?
Just removed my homemade pivy package now, to use this one. Excellent, all the ecosystem around FreeCAD is in place, amazing job Kurt!
chrisb wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:16 pmMacOS.
Yeah this is a problem indeed. What could we do about it?
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

yorik wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:11 pm Yeah this is a problem indeed. What could we do about it?
I haven't tried it myself, buy I'm pretty sure looo has conda working for macOS.