November & December 2019 FreeCAD/Debian Science update

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: My free software activities in November 2018

Post by kkremitzki »

My November 2018 summary is up, along with a list of my Debian packaging TODOs: https://kkremitzki.github.io/blog/free- ... mber-2018/
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: My free software activities in December 2018

Post by kkremitzki »

Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:20 am My January & February summaries: https://kkremitzki.github.io/blog/my-fr ... uary-2019/
Thanks for the update, Kurt. I really enjoy reading them.

I had a question on the issue of distributing FCStd files and the Debian guidelines...

I'm assuming the Debian issue is that a zip is a 'binary' format, even though the content within is entirely plain text xml and the like. But is the issue caused by using any compression at all, or just using ZIP? I noticed elsewhere the Debian guidelines seem to prefer tar.gz over zip, but given that the ZIP format is, itself, public domain, I'm not sure I see why it would matter.

If another compression format would be acceptable for redistribution under Debian, have we considered migrating FCStd to it?
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Well the contents of the files vary, they're XML and then some, there are still binary objects in there if you unzip some of the examples and take a look.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

kkremitzki wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:38 am Well the contents of the files vary, they're XML and then some, there are still binary objects in there if you unzip some of the examples and take a look.
Gotcha. I remembered seeing brp and xml, but forgot about array files ... and thumbnails, I guess. I suppose the question is, is it worth trying to make FCStd's compliant for redistribution?
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Joel_graff wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:41 pm Gotcha. I remembered seeing brp and xml, but forgot about array files ... and thumbnails, I guess. I suppose the question is, is it worth trying to make FCStd's compliant for redistribution?
It should be possible. All the binary files have their types defined in the XML files, and the specifications for those types are as open and clear as the FreeCAD source code that defines them, so there's not really any mystery about a .FCStd file... my hope is that since my blog is syndicated to Planet Debian, someone might see it and say something. If not I can also start asking.

Even if we can start shipping the examples, it would also be nice if possible to macro-record their creation where feasible and ship those with the examples.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I've tested macro recording the other night, I created a PartDesign Body with 3 features (a pad, a pocket and a fillet). The odd thing is, it records every step, but it comments out the GUI operations. The result is, when you launch the macro to recreate the model, all three features are visible at the same time, when a Body should only show one at a time, the one defined as tip.

If I end up doing one or two macros, I'll need help to fix that, because I am clueless at Python.

kkremitzki wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:26 pm All the binary files have their types defined in the XML files, and the specifications for those types are as open and clear as the FreeCAD source code that defines them, so there's not really any mystery about a .FCStd file...
Come to think of it, it's the same thing for STEP, isn't it? Even more so, as STEP is just plain text. Does Debian consider it OK to distribute STEP files?

IMO we should still try to provide scripts for the example files, even if Debian is a very specific and marginal case in view of the FreeCAD users at large. Besides, it cannot hurt to show that those example files can be scripted, which might be useful for end users.

But I think not all example files are worthy of getting scripted, or even of being kept in binary format. I'm thinking of the EngineBlock which is 6-year old and no longer represents what FreeCAD can do. Just look at any miniature steam engine posted in the Users showcase! Then there's the DrawingExample, based on the outdated Drawing wb.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: My free software activities: Summer 2019 update

Post by kkremitzki »

I've made a long-overdue update:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/28822998
bitacovir
Veteran

Re: My free software activities: Summer 2019 update

Post by bitacovir »

Thank you for your hard work!!!
:)
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site