Open and Save Dialog

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Will2

Open and Save Dialog

Post by Will2 »

This is such a minor thing I almost hate to post about it. Lately I have been using Ubuntu folder bookmarks to give me quick access to the folders I'm currently using lots. Lots of applications show these when you go to open/save a file. This isn't the case with FreeCAD and I'm not sure why. It's really just one of those nice to have things.

Thoughts?
triplus
Veteran

Re: Open and Save Dialog

Post by triplus »

Hi @Will2, just gave a similar answer here:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 84#p275021

On Linux a plethora of file managers exists. In the past we tired to enable this option by default, for Linux users to get native file manager experience, when using the Open/Save dialog. Reports quickly started to emerge, on how for example users on Ubuntu, using the Nautilus file manager, started to experience issues. Adding extension had to be done manually, and things like that. Change got reverted and now all FreeCAD users on Linux get Qt based file dialog by default again. There is a runtime option available, to enable native file manager, if desired:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 80#p273068
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Thanks very much!

It didn't work at first, than I looked at the dates and realized I had to switch to the Daily release.

I got it to run on startup and in case anyone was curious this is how I did it:
-Installed the Autoload add-on from the add-on manager.
-Created a macro with the two lines of code above with the name Autoload_YourNameHere.py
-Restart Freecad
-Tools>Accessories>Autoload Check the box beside the item labeled YourNameHere (Custom)
Last edited by Will2 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Will2 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:40 pm Thanks very much!
You're welcome.
It didn't work at first, than I looked at the dates and realized I had to switch to the Daily release.
Yes. Support was just added and therefore you need latest FreeCAD 0.18 daily build.
I got it to run on startup and in case anyone was curious this is how I did it:
-Installed the Autoload add-on from the add-on manager.
-Created a macro with the two lines of code above with the name Autoload_YourNameHere.py
-Restart Freecad
-Tools>Accessories>Autoload Check the box beside the item labeled YourNameHere (Custom)
That is a fine example on how one can use the Autoload module. But note that such procedure is not needed, as the setting, once set, should persist. If it doesn't persist, on your side, then likely FreeCAD crashes on close and the (changed) parameter doesn't get saved.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Interesting. It did not persist when I fist tried it but I disabled it just now and restarted and it persisted. I think I mistook it being described as runtime that it had to be done each time the application was opened.

Thanks again, glad you corrected in case someone else sees this.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Will2 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:10 pm Interesting. It did not persist when I fist tried it but I disabled it just now and restarted and it persisted. I think I mistook it being described as runtime that it had to be done each time the application was opened.
No problem and actually i was glad to see somebody using and describing the usage of Autoload module in such way.
Thanks again, glad you corrected in case someone else sees this.
You're welcome.