tolerances and welding on techdraw

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bestfit

tolerances and welding on techdraw

Post by bestfit »

Hello everybody,

I'm using Techdraw WB and once again I'm surprised by Freecad and what we can do with this open software... In the same time , I'm trying low budget commercial softwares ( I won't tell their names because I'm kind) and they're much more complicated to use...

On Techdraw, I've seen that the work is on progress... and I've seen that it seem's not possible to indicate the welding specification directly - one way is to go trough svg file. Has someone one idea when the WB will include the welding cotation? Do you need help on specification?

For the tolerance , i've seen thatt Yorick has already been doing something on the +- tolerances ... but I don't see how to install that in my files....
and what about the position tolerances ( //, location , perpendicularity...)? same question as for the welding; do you know when will the Techdraw WB include this?

As a general item, how can we know if a workbench got modifications beetween two Freecad releases?

Once again , I'm very gratefull to the Freecad developpers and my questions are just to get answers to decide If I could use Freecad for my job

best regards
bestfit
chrisb
Veteran

Re: tolerances and welding on techdraw

Post by chrisb »

Moved to TechDraw forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bestfit

Post by bestfit »

just forgotten the Freecad version...

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bestfit wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:04 pm For the tolerance , i've seen thatt Yorick has already been doing something on the +- tolerances ... but I don't see how to install that in my files....
I think it was wandererfan who included this in version 0.18.
bestfit wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:22 pm just forgotten the Freecad version...

Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Try the current 0.18 development version or wait until it has been released which will not be too far in the future.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bestfit

Post by bestfit »

Yes, you're right ... we have to give credit where credit is due and apologize Vandererfan for my mistake!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bestfit wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:52 pm Yes, you're right ... we have to give credit where credit is due and apologize Vandererfan for my mistake!
Wanderefan :) .
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

bestfit wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:52 pm Yes, you're right ... we have to give credit where credit is due and apologize Vandererfan for my mistake!
No worries. I've been called much worse.

As for welding, I'm not a welder, so I'm not 100% what should go into welding functions in TD. I think that it is a form of added annotation on the drawings, so it probably has to wait for "drawing tools" functionality (v0.19?).

The rest probably falls under "GD&T, Control Frames and Symbols" entry in the TechDraw_Roadmap and likely also has to wait for "drawing tools" foundation.

wf
bestfit

Post by bestfit »

Hi Wandererfan,

Thank you for your reply!

The way to define the welding on a drawing is driven by the ISO 2553.
In 2 words, it's not that complicated!

- first you have the support ; an arrow build with an arrow , an horizontal part and an "horizontal V" at the othher end ( please refer to the page 12)
- above or below the horizontal line , you may have a word censored broken line showing on which side of the part the weld bead must be... but every time I see this I have to spend half of an hour to remember where it should be... 50% of chance to be right and as I suppose I'm not alone to have trouble with that, probably the welder will have the same trouble ... so ...
-above or below the horizontal line the symbol of the preparation and the form of the weld bead. ( refer to page# 12 to 14)
-beside those symbols, additionnal but not mandatory information on the size of the bead ( thickness, length...)
- at the cross of the arrow and the horizontal part, a circle if the bead must be continuous all around the part.
- at the same place a flag if tha weld has to be done at the customer place.
- at the other end , beetween the branch of the horizontal V , the designation of the welding process ( for instance 141 as for TIG)

it should look like this.... and you could see a sample what could be realized
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (26.13 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
Should you need further information, don't hesitate to ask me ; I'd very glad to participate to the Freecad project
Bestfit
Attachments
14_PDFsam_NF EN 22553 08-1994 Joints soudés et brasés - Représentations symboliques sur les dessins.pdf
(20.54 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
13_PDFsam_NF EN 22553 08-1994 Joints soudés et brasés - Représentations symboliques sur les dessins.pdf
(29.81 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
12_PDFsam_NF EN 22553 08-1994 Joints soudés et brasés - Représentations symboliques sur les dessins.pdf
(22.1 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
bestfit

Post by bestfit »

That's me again ...

After trying more in detail the techdraw WB, once again, I've been amazed by what we can do on Freecad. See the file attached

The main issues I've seen (but I remain very carefull because I certainly don't use all the Techdraw features):
- how to move together the attached projections?
- how to point something with an arrow
- how to add commment to a dimension ( for instance how to tell that a dimension has been used several times ... Ø holes for instance .. instead of repeating x time the cotation?

And I don't come back on tolerances and welding; on this drawing I've created severall scheme with inscape and I insert them as svg file in the drawing ; after I insert comments... I'm thinking about a macro to do that in order to wait until an official solution... but due to my poor level in programation, I probably will need the support of the Freecad team...

bestfit
bestfit

Post by bestfit »

here is the drawing...
document1.pdf
(133.62 KiB) Downloaded 224 times