How to have bullet points in an error message?

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: How to have bullet points in an error message?

Post by DeepSOIC »

NormandC wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:16 am
DeepSOIC wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:07 pm Use html, maybe?
Thanks, creative, but not working for me. C++ may not be directly recognizing html, seems like Python does?
Hmm, strange. I was under impression that it's Qt doing the recognition and formatting. It is certainly not python, we are just calling the same QMessageBox after all. Maybe html in messageboxes isn't supported on linux? Or maybe it wants some flag? I don't know...

Can you try this? It's as close as it can get to C++ code. HTML formatting works here on Win for this warning popup.

Code: Select all

from PySide import QtGui
QtGui.QMessageBox.warning(None, "test", "<html>message<ul><li>item1</li><li>item2</li></ul></html>")
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

NormandC wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:16 am
DeepSOIC wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:07 pm Use html, maybe?
Thanks, creative, but not working for me. C++ may not be directly recognizing html, seems like Python does?
OK, I think I found why it didn't work for you: <html> is ignored if a newline character is encountered before <html> tag. Try wrapping the whole message in html tags.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

DeepSOIC wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:29 am
wmayer wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:06 am

std::string message = QT_TR_NOOP("The requested feature cannot be created. The reason may be that:");
message += "\n\xe2\x80\xa2";
message += QT_TR_NOOP("the active Body does not contain a base shape, so there is no material to be removed");
message += "\n\xe2\x80\xa2";
message += QT_TR_NOOP("the selected sketch does not belong to the active Body.");
The code to display the error message should then be changed to (TaskDlgFeatureParameters::accept()):

QMessageBox::warning(..., QApplication::translate(..., e.what()));
But will it work at all? I thought, Qt looks up the whole string in the translation library, but will not find it because only pieces are in the library?
Oh word censored, you're right! I haven't thought of this. So, if following this idea you have to use QCoreApplication::translate already inside the Pocket feature, convert the whole QString into a raw C string using toUtf8() and later convert back with fromUtf8().

QString message = QCoreApplication::translate("PartDesign::Pocket", "The requested feature cannot be created. The reason may be that:");
message += QLatin1String("\n\xe2\x80\xa2");
message += QCoreApplication::translate("PartDesign::Pocket", "the active Body does not contain a base shape, so there is no material to be removed");
message += QLatin1String("\n\xe2\x80\xa2");
message += QCoreApplication::translate("PartDesign::Pocket", "the selected sketch does not belong to the active Body.");
return new App::DocumentObjectExecReturn(message.toUtf8());

QMessageBox::warning(..., QString::fromUtf8(e.what()));
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

You guys have completely and utterly lost me, you know that, right?

How is the existing string currently translated? It must be, right? Why then won't the current translation system work if I make the aforementioned change to the string?
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

NormandC wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:57 pm How is the existing string currently translated?
I don't quite know all the details, but the overall mechanism is:
1. a Qt tool ("lupdate"?) sweeps the source code, searching for translate("somethingsomething") and QT_TR_NOOP("somethingsomething"). It creates a .ts file with all the strings, along with some additional information (context).

2. translators add translations of the strings to the .ts file.
3. when FreeCAD is built, the .ts file with translations is packed into FreeCAD. In the calls to translate("somethingsomething"), the string "somethingsomething" is looked up in the packed .ts file, and the translated string is returned. (and afaik, the .ts file is converted into a binary database for faster lookup)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks for your help, but you guys don't seem to realize how out of my depth this all is.

Sorry but I'm giving up. I'll create a bug report in the tracker. I really wish this would have made it in 0.18.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

NormandC wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:29 am Thanks for your help, but you guys don't seem to realize how out of my depth this all is.

Sorry but I'm giving up. I'll create a bug report in the tracker. I really wish this would have made it in 0.18.
Did you create a ticket? I couldn't find one. Anyway, as first step see: git commit 563d020b6
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks. Sorry, I didn't manage to create a ticket.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Related issue:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... 1366-L1368

StdCmdViewRotateLeft::StdCmdViewRotateLeft()
  : Command("Std_ViewRotateLeft")
{
    sGroup        = QT_TR_NOOP("Standard-View");
    sMenuText     = QT_TR_NOOP("Rotate Left");
    sToolTipText  = QT_TR_NOOP("Rotate the view by 90\xc2\xb0 counter-clockwise");
    sWhatsThis    = "Std_ViewRotateLeft";
    sStatusTip    = QT_TR_NOOP("Rotate the view by 90\xc2\xb0 counter-clockwise");
    sPixmap       = "view-rotate-left";
    sAccel        = "Shift+Left";
    eType         = Alter3DView;
}
How do i get the degrees symbol ?

Edit: sorry for the multiple posts (that i just manually removed) was having wifi issues.
Last edited by Kunda1 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I don't understand your questions. The code above already produces the degree symbol in the GUI.