Release of 0.18

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

Re: Release of 0.18

Post by bernd »

yeah Yorik ... +1 here too. Norman for FreeCAD developer! :mrgreen:
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

easyw-fc wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:29 am a small issue here:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 62#p276159
Here an example of a FC file in which I have a Chamfer with Transparency set to 50% which is displayed and saved fine, but when the file is reloaded in FC, the transparency is not correctly displayed.
Here the file...
Car-Axis-example.FCStd
Transparency can be displayed correctly only after a manual change (even of one single step).
Recompute or force recompute the document is not useful.
The colors are set per faces for the chamfer and at the moment the function to assign the colors doesn't take care of the transparency but this is fixed now with git commit a395c570f.

Due to this issue the colors are saved with wrong alpha value to the file and when loading it the alpha values of the colors are wrong. To fix it you must repeat the step to set the colors per face.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I have no idea if it's an issue with the freecad-daily PPA, or an issue with Qt 5 : two icons in the Image workbench are missing.

The icons were fine when the package was built with Qt 4. I'm currently unable to compile FreeCAD with Qt 5, some Qt 4 bits obstinately remain and the build fails at about 61% - I guess I'll have to try to build from scratch rather than on top of my old Qt 4 build. Or read forum topics about it...

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15536 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 98ebeaa198df945ba666c15912c6caf95920f0ef
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: French/Canada (fr_CA)
Attachments
FC018_Qt5_Image_wb_missing_icons_01.png
FC018_Qt5_Image_wb_missing_icons_01.png (3.88 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

wmayer wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:55 pm The colors are set per faces for the chamfer and at the moment the function to assign the colors doesn't take care of the transparency but this is fixed now with git commit a395c570f.
thanks Werner :D
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

yorik wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:00 pm Personally I would vote for changing this text to something like this:

Code: Select all

(c) Juergen Riegel, Werner Mayer and the FreeCAD community 2001-2019
Personally I would object. :mrgreen:

First, I think it is important to recognise your weight in the project for historical reasons. It did not go there without reason in the first place.

Second on a legal point (IANAL), it might not be legally sound to distribute the copyright over the whole community. It is also unclear what exactly this copyright applies exactly to. Each contributing individual holds its copyright under the LGPL terms. It is the individual holding of the copyright which enables the LGPL terms to be applied. I think that it might not be legally clear either to attribute a non-legal entity with a copyright and I think it has the potential to only bring (legal) problems.

I am for the Community, but exactly for that reason, I would maintain the original copyright notice. ;)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

abdullah wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:06 am Personally I would object. :mrgreen:
Your arguments make sense... I'm just sometimes annoyed that some people come and seem to think only the 3 of us are the authors (or "owners :D) of FreeCAD.. I would like to find a way to say otherwise there
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

abdullah wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:06 am I am for the Community, but exactly for that reason, I would maintain the original copyright notice.
This made me really curious. Personally, I think:

(c) 2019 The FreeCAD Community
or

(c) 2019 The FreeCAD Community Developers
is sufficient.

Referencing Wikipedia:
In United States copyright law, a copyright notice is a notice of statutorily prescribed form that informs users of the underlying claim to copyright ownership in a published work.

US law no longer requires the use of a copyright notice, although placing it on a work does confer certain benefits to the copyright holder. Prior law did, however, require a notice, and the use of a notice is still relevant to the copyright status of older works.
Essentially, the purpose of the copyright notice is to inform the user that the work is copyrighted. It's legal value is in defeating an 'innocent use' argument, where the defendant claims they did not know it was copyrighted. Thus, it's a notice to the users of the work that a copyright is in effect, but it does not constitute a legal claim of copyright in itself. That's what we have the LGPL for.

Therefore I think community-level copyright notice is sufficient, as FreeCAD is protected under a copyright that is held by individuals of the community. It provides users a notice that FreeCAD is a copyrighted work and the notice reflects the true nature of the copyrights, but it is not a legal interpretation of those copyrights.

Of course, that's the US law view. I cannot say what international copyright laws may require. I might recommend sending an email to the Software Freedom Conservancy for clarification.

Also, we can write that notice any way we like. For example:

(c) 2019 The FreeCAD Community under the Lesser GNU Public License (LGPL)
would be an explicit, comprehensive description of the copyright, unless we have other licenses in the mix. In which case, I'd list those as well or just eliminate them altogether.

Anyway, from a legal vantage point, I really don't think it matters what we put in it. But, as Abudllah pointed out, IANAL. :)
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
bill

Post by bill »

Joel_graff wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:00 pm This made me really curious. Personally, I think:
(c) 2019 The FreeCAD Community
or
(c) 2019 The FreeCAD Community Developers
Corporations like Bell Labs, Airbus, Seimens, GE, Boeing, etc. are successful because of "corporate-knowledge" (the ability to solve complicated challenges); not one or two really talented engineers.

The FreeCAD Community is very similar. The strength of this community comes from the-many who participate in a small to sometimes very-large way for SO long.

There are plenty of contributors to FreeCAD that are un acknowledged in my opinion! I myself dont need to "see-my-name-in-pixels". Some people do I suppose. Better to do well by doing good; oh, sht, I better give credit to the american B. Franklin! And just like Ben, i dont believe in patents and copyrights you robber barons!

(c) 2019 The FreeCAD Community at this point is probably a wise decision. If someone really wants to know who contributed to FreeCAD, they can start reading the FORUM and determine themselves.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The big corporations have a legal status, so they well can be copyright holders. I'm not sure if the FreeCAD community has.

You three (well, currently two) guarantee the freedom of FreeCAD. If the community owns rights it might open a loophole for hostile takeover.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

As it stands now, you 3 can give out freecad under a special license on request.

Say company x want to use your stuff and not share, they can approach you and say, can we get an licence where we do not have to share our work if we pay. You are free to do this.

It happened to me once, I made an LGPL licensed graphics accelerator and was later approached by a subcontractor that worked for a defence industry, they did not want to share their work based on our design and wanted to buy a seperate license.

As a pasifist, i put a steep price and never heard from them again, they probably used it anyway...

Almost related:
https://youtu.be/-hCimLnIsDA