#FreeCAD on Mastodon

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

#FreeCAD on Mastodon

Post by yorik »

Since Normand has just migrated to Mastodon too and I'm not alone there, we can start calling ourselves a community! If you have a mastodon account, join us on #FreeCAD ! (I also just created an offical @FreeCAD@fosstodon.org account. Follow it!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: #FreeCAD on Mastodon

Post by NormandC »

For anyone wondering what the heck is Mastodon, it's a micro-blogging platform similar to Twitter. The big difference is it's decentralized and open source. Many servers exist, and when you join a server (called instance), you can follow people from other instances.

Mastodon is also part of the fediverse, or federated universe, shared by other open source social media platforms such as Diaspora*, GNU Social, Friendica, PeerTube and many others; they share the same communication protocol so someone on Friendica can potentially communicate seamlessly to somebody else on a different platform. For example, I could find freecad-heini-1 profile on Peertube.mastodon.host and follow him, the next time he publishes a video on Peertube, I'll get notified on Mastodon (I think).

Mastodon is the fastest growing open source social media platform: it has over 1,860,000 users and currently gaining 25,000 new users weekly.

https://joinmastodon.org/

Mastodon.social is one of the biggest instances, with 300,000 users and the activity there (shown in a local timeline) is overwhelming. I joined the fosstodon.org instance, which as its name suggests, is geared toward FOSS (free and open source software) and has only 2,000 users.

See you guys there! Or not. :D
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

yorik wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:06 pm I also just created an offical @FreeCAD@fosstodon.org account. Follow it!
FYI, this produces a mailto link here, but that's what you'll paste in the Mastodon search field (including the first @) to find an account.

This is the URL link of the account: https://fosstodon.org/@FreeCAD
dcapeletti

Post by dcapeletti »

Excellent initiative to start spreading FreeCAD through free and federated networks. I have already joined.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Cool! Just so you know, the Fosstodon instance is English-only unfortunately.

Why Fosstodon Is an English Only Instance
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Joined and clicked the "Follow" button for the first time in my life :shock:
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

The FreeCAD fosstodon account now has 76 followers! :D
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Apparently all the good names for social media have been taken. :lol:

Seriously, sounds interesting. Thanks for the write-up NormandC.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Ha! I hear you, really weird to name a social media after a big extinct, lumbering grazing mammal. :D

Apparently a 25-year old is the author and main developer of this project, and he's a fan of a heavy metal band of the same name.
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

yorik wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:06 pm Since Normand has just migrated to Mastodon too and I'm not alone there, we can start calling ourselves a community! If you have a mastodon account, join us on #FreeCAD ! (I also just created an offical @FreeCAD@fosstodon.org account. Follow it!
Thanks for the hint. I joined today.

:idea: Achim
… for a happy FreeCAD-World … JM2C …