serially reading the Manual

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ubiquity

Re: serially reading the Manual

Post by ubiquity »

I'm not sure where to post this as this is one of the threads that deals with navigation of documentation and accordingly may be the most appropriate.
Having looked at the documentation for MediaWiki it appears that there is an option to have the TOC/Index occupy a percentage width of the page
Customizing the TOC Width
An extenuating circumstance may require the width of a TOC width to be adjusted as a percentage of a page. For example: {{TOC left|width=30%}}
Is it therefore possible to spread the TOC/Index across the page rather than completely down it?
I base this on the supposition that most users will use FC on a screen wider than it is deep and that therefore, if TOC/Index can be spread users will not have to scroll down as far to see the beginning of the page content.
Could this be tested in a sandbox version of, say, the manual TOC? If so then we could see how it appears on various screens and what happens to additions and deletions.
While I have done a small amount of editing of the wiki for content, English grammar and readability I am hesitent to make what might be a dramatic change by myself.
OS - Linux Mint 19 & Win10 (both 64bit)
IT Training & Support (retired)
Cheers Paul
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I made some changes to the Manual TOC template to send it to the right... Have a look, I think that looks nice now:

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Manual:Introduction

Problem is, large images on the next pages don't fit correctly (they jump below the TOC). Haven't found a solution yet...

The "Read more" section could also gain some styling...
garya

Post by garya »

yorik wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:55 pm I made some changes to the Manual TOC template to send it to the right... Have a look, I think that looks nice now:
Looks great!
I had simultaneously started to add a template for putting the toc on the left [wiki]Template:TOCleft[/wiki] to behave similar to [wiki]Template:TOCright[/wiki] as used in PartDesign_Workbench. But the TOC on the right looks fine so it's just sitting there, maybe should be deleted.
yorik wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:55 pm Problem is, large images on the next pages don't fit correctly (they jump below the TOC). Haven't found a solution yet...
Can you point to a page where they don't work? At least for the pages that use TOCright such as [wiki]PartDesign_Workbench#Introduction[/wiki], it looks like specifying a max size for the image solves the problem:
[nowiki][[Image:PartDesign Example.png|none|600px]][/nowiki]
yorik wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:55 pm The "Read more" section could also gain some styling...
I don't see a "Read more" section at all in the Intro page?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

garya wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:53 pm [wiki]PartDesign_Workbench#Introduction[/wiki]
Once again: only underscores are recognized by the wiki forum tag. All other special characters won't work. The link above is broken.

To link to a header on a page, use the wikisection tag.

Code: Select all

[wikisection=PartDesign_Workbench]Introduction[/wikisection]
PartDesign Workbench#Introduction

When a header has multiple words, replace spaces with underscores or the link will not work.

PartDesign Workbench#Part_Design_Modeling_tools
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

garya wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:53 pm I don't see a "Read more" section at all in the Intro page?
I think Yorik refers to Manual:What_is_FreeCAD.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

hi,

from
&
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Manual:Introduction/fr

when i compare the English wiki and others languages wiki, only English wiki shows:
- the table of menu on right. well, it's a detail but is it not supposed to be the same template/frame whatever the language?
- menu called "Manual index" is shown on the top on the first page then it disappears when we navigate to a chapter. is it possible to mantain it wherever we are in the wiki and for all languages?

a suggestion about the table: can we have it sliding as we are moving into the wiki so at any time if we want to jump to an other topic, we click on the table or an alternative to put a sliding "up" arrow to go back to the top where the table menu is . i know we can do CTRL+ right arrow to go back to the top.
garya

Post by garya »

david69 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:49 pm from
&
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Manual:Introduction/fr

when i compare the English wiki and others languages wiki, only English wiki shows:
- the table of menu on right. well, it's a detail but is it not supposed to be the same template/frame whatever the language?
- menu called "Manual index" is shown on the top on the first page then it disappears when we navigate to a chapter. is it possible to mantain it wherever we are in the wiki and for all languages?
If I look at the Manual:Introduction/fr page, I see the menu on the right. Perhaps you are getting it from a browser cache. Try doing a forced reload of the page.

The Index in the middle of the navigation bar is a new feature, which is added manually as pages are edited. The same is true for the navigation bar also showing at the top of the page. Only a few pages at the beginning have had this edit done.
david69 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:49 pm a suggestion about the table: can we have it sliding as we are moving into the wiki so at any time if we want to jump to an other topic, we click on the table or an alternative to put a sliding "up" arrow to go back to the top where the table menu is . i know we can do CTRL+ right arrow to go back to the top.
Sorry, I don't know enough to answer that.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

There is a possibility to make the large images (as well as tables and everything else) automatically resize to fit into the space left next to the TOC. But that basically involves everything after the {{TOC}} template into an opening and a closing <div> ... </div> tag. The opening one is easy, we can add it at the end of the {{TOC}} template. But that would mean, to add the closing one, we would need to add some new {{ENDDIV}} or something like that at the bottom of each page that has the manual TOC (basically all the manual pages)

Not very elegant, but I think that could work. The problem is that while the tags are unbalanced (that is, the TOC was updated but the end template is not in place, the page will be completely screwed. Not sure how to deal with the translations too...

This is really more a hack than anything else, mediawiki is not really made for such things...
garya

Post by garya »

yorik wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:37 pm There is a possibility to make the large images (as well as tables and everything else) automatically resize to fit into the space left next to the TOC. But that basically involves everything after the {{TOC}} template into an opening and a closing <div> ... </div> tag. The opening one is easy, we can add it at the end of the {{TOC}} template. But that would mean, to add the closing one, we would need to add some new {{ENDDIV}} or something like that at the bottom of each page that has the manual TOC (basically all the manual pages)

Not very elegant, but I think that could work. The problem is that while the tags are unbalanced (that is, the TOC was updated but the end template is not in place, the page will be completely screwed. Not sure how to deal with the translations too...

This is really more a hack than anything else, mediawiki is not really made for such things...
I don't know much about manipulating the wiki, but have been trying to get something like the following to work:

<nowiki>
{{Manual:TOC}}
<span style="color:red">red</span> <!-- this works -->
<span style="width: 600px;"> <!-- doesn't work; idea would be to use max-width: 70% -->
[[Image:Freecad016_screenshot1.jpg]]
</span>
</nowiki>

If the span idea would work, that would localize the change; but I can't get it to work with image references.

I originally tried simply:
<nowiki>
[[Image:Freecad016_screenshot1.jpg|50%]]
instead of
[[Image:Freecad016_screenshot1.jpg|600px]]
</nowiki>
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

If I look at the Manual:Introduction/fr page, I see the menu on the right. Perhaps you are getting it from a browser cache. Try doing a forced reload of the page.
yes, correct today, the menu is on the right.

noted and understood for the other remarks, thanks. may be somebody else will know if this demand makes sense.