Command panel

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Command panel

Post by triplus »

efyx wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:50 am Command panel with invoke works well for me - this is really cool
Good to hear that.
but I would like to: when command panel is invoked floating it would close when click outside of it (so invoke key will be used) else if docked then it is still till close from [x]
Yeah. I had a feeling you might suggest something like that. From the past experiences. ;)

What i will likely add in the future is a menu mode to preferences. And once enabled command panel won't start as a dock widget but rather in a menu container. In such mode clicking outside will hide it. Buy you won't be able to dock it. That is without disabling the mode in preferences and restarting FreeCAD. Maybe it will be possible to use the "standard" menu layout in this mode. I haven't decided yet and will see what makes the most sense once i start coding it and after i determine what are the difficulties involved.
and one suggestion for invoke keys, becasue shfit+q isn't intuitive and quite hard combination for fingers set (It should have easy access) maybe better would be ~, Ctrl+Shift+~, Ctrl+~, Shift+~ because mostly hand is on the edge of keyboard. Please consider that.
As far as i know ~ key (tilde) is not accessible directly on all platforms/keyboards. And you have to use some keyboard combinations to access it. I am sure that end users using command panel invoke key feature frequently won't be 100% happy with a key combination that is not as easy to use as it could be. But unfortunately i can't add an easy combination to all UX functionality i made. As each key used takes away one key from other developers. That is why i settled for Q and will base everything around it. But i am still interested in providing best possible default experience from this point of view. What an end user can do is to use shortcuts manager from ShortCuts module and customize the shortcuts experience to better suit his or her specific needs with ease:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 70#p243967
efyx

Post by efyx »

triplus wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:40 pm Good to hear that.
I started to like it even more :D, separators, menus this is perfect. Thanks to that I can most commands and workbenches into this under mouse panel. But.., it is necessary IMHO to do import/export preset, when I build something I would like to move it to other computers to have the same configuration, or share with community.

Configuration also made a crash which closed FC and sometimes it doesn't save menu (should be save button added?) especially in default menu.

It has so much functionality it could replace piemenu, or it piemenu will evolve and all the same operations could be done under mouse, but then execution should be by mouse gesture. What do you think?

PS. Would be good to add new line separator :) and option to show icon in all menus
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

efyx wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:25 am I started to like it even more :D, separators, menus this is perfect. Thanks to that I can most commands and workbenches into this under mouse panel.

Good to hear that.
But.., it is necessary IMHO to do import/export preset, when I build something I would like to move it to other computers to have the same configuration, or share with community.
At some point (after the work will be done) i will declare the modules i am working on to be done. Investigating and adding import/export functionality makes the most sense then. For now you can import/export the settings directly from Tools -> Edit parameters ... or by simply reusing user.cfg file.
Configuration also made a crash which closed FC and sometimes it doesn't save menu (should be save button added?) especially in default menu.
AFAIK this can't be done with Python ATM. Likely devs would abuse it and better to report the crash you are getting on closing FreeCAD. For the crash to get fixed.
It has so much functionality it could replace piemenu, or it piemenu will evolve and all the same operations could be done under mouse, but then execution should be by mouse gesture. What do you think?
PieMenu will get the same functionality and level of control as seen in command panel.
PS. Would be good to add new line separator :)
Like what the Add spacer button does (next to Add separator)?
and option to show icon in all menus
Can you explain more on what this option would do?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Grid.png
Grid.png (41.62 KiB) Viewed 2134 times

Grid layout replaced the Expand layout option. Grid layout can be used to set an arbitrary number of command button columns. Expand layout is/was equal to Grid layout at value 1.
jrdrukin

Post by jrdrukin »

Hello to All and Happy New Year!

I posted a topic about the Command Panel and was referred to this thread.

The BIM arena will be my primary focus in using FC for my building design projects.

I am fairly new user of FC, however, I have some experience with Revit, Plant3D, and extensive experience with AutoCAD (thru R.2019).

So, I am hoping to contact new and experienced users of FC who are interested in following the development of the FC BIM WB as well as improving knowledge and skills in FC generally.

The whole world of Open Source is exciting :) , frightening :o , confusing :? , etc. (actually, I'm a bit adrift and somewhat floundering in the weeds :?

One goal is to set up a tutorial based upon our interaction which might help other users who are interested but may be intimidated by the world of Open Source/Git/Python/ad infinitum.

Okay, hope to hear from you (anyone, somebody) soon.

Best wishes for a safe, happy and prosperous New Year!

Jerry/jrdrukin
efyx

Post by efyx »

@Triplus
It would be cool when I create new menu, that I could use it in other workbenches. Can you implement that? Now when I create menu and I switch to other workbench I cannot use previous created menu from dropdown list. IMO It should be possible to share lists between workbenches.

And back again to export/import to share the configuration for other computers - will this appear one day?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi Jerry.

I gave an answer in your original thread.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 76#p278776
efyx wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:43 am @Triplus
It would be cool when I create new menu, that I could use it in other workbenches. Can you implement that? Now when I create menu and I switch to other workbench I cannot use previous created menu from dropdown list. IMO It should be possible to share lists between workbenches.
This was one of the things that took the longest, to figure it out. In the end i had to use and introduce a combination of menu having an UUID and a simple domain name system for menus, to get some robustness. In addition exploring and selecting the preferred UX/UI part of it took several attempts. A lot of prototypes i explored had an issue with high user facing complexity. PieMenu needs the same solution. Therefore yes, this will be possible and it's already implemented. It will get released soon, after some additional QA.
And back again to export/import to share the configuration for other computers - will this appear one day?
Yes. This should happen once the development finishes. For example the mentioned UUID/Domain name approach would make all existing exports obsolete, if such functionality would already exists. Therefore it was the right call to move the implementation of such functionality to the end. That is to the phase once development is considered done and things have matured.
efyx

Post by efyx »

triplus wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:52 pm
So cool, cannot wait. This will be very usefull. Thanks.

PS. ESC when window is active could closes the window.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

efyx wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:14 pm So cool, cannot wait. This will be very usefull. Thanks.
You're welcome. It will highly likely happen this month.
PS. ESC when window is active could closes the window.
If you are talking about the "command panel window", when invoked with the shortcut? Then yes, support for two containers (dock widget or menu) was added. In general you can hide a menu with ESC key.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

HeightAndSpacing.png
HeightAndSpacing.png (41.61 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
I rearranged available settings in two groups, button Style and Size. Size group got two additional settings, button height and spacing. I consider provided Style and Size control to be sufficient now for covering most common use cases.

P.S. Option for using dock widget or a menu as a container will hit QA pipelines next.