serially reading the Manual

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: serially reading the Manual

Post by yorik »

garya wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:21 pm <nowiki>
{{Manual:TOC}}
<span style="color:red">red</span> <!-- this works -->
<span style="width: 600px;"> <!-- doesn't work; idea would be to use max-width: 70% -->
[[Image:Freecad016_screenshot1.jpg]]
</span>
</nowiki>
This will anyway not adapt to any screen size. The only correct way to have a two columns system that works AFAIK is having both the columns as separated divs (or spans or any other HTML container) both inside a same parent container. But mediawiki doesn't allow that naturally.

Another solution would be to make the TOC as a horizontal block, on top of the text. But that would look rather ugly i would think.

But the best of the best would be for it to insert into the left menu (ie. dynamic sidebar), there seem to be plugins for that, but I haven't looked far into it...
garya

Post by garya »

yorik wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:42 pm
garya wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:21 pm <nowiki>
{{Manual:TOC}}
<span style="color:red">red</span> <!-- this works -->
<span style="width: 600px;"> <!-- doesn't work; idea would be to use max-width: 70% -->
[[Image:Freecad016_screenshot1.jpg]]
</span>
</nowiki>
This will anyway not adapt to any screen size. The only correct way to have a two columns system that works AFAIK is having both the columns as separated divs (or spans or any other HTML container) both inside a same parent container. But mediawiki doesn't allow that naturally.

Another solution would be to make the TOC as a horizontal block, on top of the text. But that would look rather ugly i would think.

But the best of the best would be for it to insert into the left menu (ie. dynamic sidebar), there seem to be plugins for that, but I haven't looked far into it...
I understand using a % is not a perfect solution, but it (or some other construct) may allow at least some improvement.
As you say, the best option would be to subsume the TOC in the left sidebar.
I did a little poking around and got this:
[[https://mwusers.org/topic/84-restrict-image-size/]]
I tried messing with a direct link but currently it's not allowed. The External image whitelist is empty and I can't edit it. Does it seem
reasonable to allow external links to images on the freecadweb.org site itself? That would allow explorations of options without much in the way of security issues.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Honestly I wouldn't go that way because it will be a hell of a hassle the day we want to migrate the wiki to something else. What we can do at the moment maybe is to add some CSS to the Mediawiki:Common.css page that does that. We just need to find a rule that targets only the manual images, I'll have a look at that..