Error when installing cfmesh

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

shIxx

Error when installing cfmesh

Post by shIxx »

Hi,
I have installed a "new" PC with a clean windows 10 64bit and downloaded the latest development snapschot and now I wantto install cfdOF WB but while I'm trying to install cfmesh, continuously get the error seen in the image (attached)
I'm not shure if this error is because my windows installation or if it has other reasons.
Reportview is also attached!

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15536 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 98ebeaa198df945ba666c15912c6caf95920f0ef
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Attachments
report-view.txt
(355.61 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
cfmesh.JPG
cfmesh.JPG (47.8 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
thschrader
Veteran

Re: Error when installing cfmesh

Post by thschrader »

shIxx wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:45 pm Hi,
I have installed a "new" PC with a clean windows 10 64bit and downloaded the latest development snapschot and now I wantto install cfdOF WB but while I'm trying to install cfmesh, continuously get the error seen in the image (attached)
I'm not shure if this error is because my windows installation or if it has other reasons.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15536 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 98ebeaa198df945ba666c15912c6caf95920f0ef
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Fresh clean window, 64 bit .. and cfdof does not work!
Do your work..kannst mal deine birne einschalten!
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

shIxx wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:45 pm Hi,
It looks as though there is a permission issue writing to the blueCFD folder in Program Files. Try running FreeCAD as administrator (right-click on the icon and choose Run as Administrator) and re-try the installation, or alternatively re-install BlueCFD in a location where you have write permissions.
Please provide all the information requested in this post before reporting problems with CfdOF.
shIxx

Post by shIxx »

oliveroxtoby wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:40 am It looks as though there is a permission issue writing to the blueCFD folder in Program Files. Try running FreeCAD as administrator (right-click on the icon and choose Run as Administrator) and re-try the installation,
Hi Oliver,
I have already tried "right-click" and "Run as Administrator" without success. It's weird because I'm the only user and this user (thoma) is administrator.
What I have tried next is to create a new user with administrator permissions and try to install cfmesh from there, even without success.
It seems that not FreeCAD is missing the write permission but mkdir (see screenshot). And that the program can not open the folder is because these folders does not exist (2. screenshot). They does't exists even in C:\\ProgramFiles\blueCFD\.... or in the downloaded zip from sourceforge.

or alternatively re-install BlueCFD in a location where you have write permissions.
I want to avoid that if possible

BTW:
I set up my computer a long time ago and accidentally mistyped thoma (without s) as user name. Unfortunately, I no longer have the product key and install Windows from an image on an USB-stick. Then I log in with my Microsoft account and it takes over my licence,.. everything wonderful, but it takes over the old folder name also. Its not important but is there no way to change this?
Attachments
permisison-denied.JPG
permisison-denied.JPG (197.95 KiB) Viewed 3962 times
folders-not-exist.JPG
folders-not-exist.JPG (889.89 KiB) Viewed 3962 times
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

shIxx wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:15 pm I set up my computer a long time ago and accidentally mistyped thoma (without s) as user name. Unfortunately, I no longer have the product key and install Windows from an image on an USB-stick. Then I log in with my Microsoft account and it takes over my licence,.. everything wonderful, but it takes over the old folder name also. Its not important but is there no way to change this?
I cant change your license.
Are you interested in cfd?
Show a sreenshot!
Do you respect the work wich is done here? Honey.
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

shIxx wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:15 pm Hi Oliver,
I have already tried "right-click" and "Run as Administrator" without success. It's weird because I'm the only user and this user (thoma) is administrator.
What I have tried next is to create a new user with administrator permissions and try to install cfmesh from there, even without success.
It seems that not FreeCAD is missing the write permission but mkdir (see screenshot). And that the program can not open the folder is because these folders does not exist (2. screenshot). They does't exists even in C:\\ProgramFiles\blueCFD\.... or in the downloaded zip from sourceforge.
The errors you show are actually normal and nothing to worry about. The following error message in your log file is the problem:

Code: Select all

cc1plus.exe: fatal error: can't open 'C:\PROGRA~1\BLUECF~1\ofuser-of5\cfmesh-cfdof\meshLibrary\Make\mingw_w64GccDPInt32Opt\tempDir\cceXUkwF.s' for writing: Permission denied
If you are running as administrator, then I don't know why there would be a permission problem. To build it manually, you can try running blueCFD-Core terminal from the start menu and type

cd blueCFD/ofuser-of5
./buildCfMeshOnBlueCFD.sh
and see if you get the same error.

Other than that, my only other advice remains to re-install BlueCFD in another location.
or alternatively re-install BlueCFD in a location where you have write permissions.
Please let us know when you manage to resolve this as it might help others.
Please provide all the information requested in this post before reporting problems with CfdOF.
shIxx

Post by shIxx »

Yes I get the same error when I try a manual build in the core terminal
oliveroxtoby wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:40 am If you are running as administrator, then I don't know why there would be a permission problem. To build it manually, you can try running blueCFD-Core terminal from the start menu and type

cd blueCFD/ofuser-of5
./buildCfMeshOnBlueCFD.sh
and see if you get the same error.
Now I installed BlueCFD directly in C: and set C:\blueCFD-Core-2017\OpenFOAM-5.x as install directory in FreeCAD.
This worked for me. I don't know why but cfdMesh and HISA is installed successfully now. Could this maby bacause I switchet from HDD to SSD?
I'm not an IT man so may this is stupid but could it be possible that somehow a few bits on the SSD are broken or something like that?
oliveroxtoby wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:40 am Other than that, my only other advice remains to re-install BlueCFD in another location.
Please let us know when you manage to resolve this as it might help others.
Offtopic: @oliveroxtoby:
I know that heat transfer is planed an I can't wait. Many thanks for this.
Is it also planned to implement a LES model? I think many people would be happy about that

@thschrader
Yes, I respect the work very much! I like FreeCAD and especially the cfdOF WB and I thank everyone who works on it for free and gives help and support in this forum.
What's your problem? If you don't want to help then just ignore this thread!
Do your work..kannst mal deine birne einschalten!
I cant change your license.
Are you interested in cfd?
Show a sreenshot!
Do you respect the work wich is done here? Honey.
Last edited by shIxx on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Just to make my standpoint clear, I detest Windows 10 with a passion (I spent 20 years in IT Support and Problem Management) thereby giving the reason for me using Windows 7. I am of the firm belief that the root cause of your original issue is User Access Control, which even if you are an Administrator and the specific user who carried out the initial installation, takes a higher security priority hence will not allow any process to change/delete in C:\Program Files or the x86 equivalent unless Microsoft have it on their 'list' or you have completely disabled UAC using a registry key which can be found through Google quite easily.

All my non-Microsoft products get installed in E:\My Progs\ or in the case of FreeCAD daily, E:\Data\My Downloads\ which I recommend to anyone locally who is interested in FreeCAD, Cura, Blender etc. Due to these folders not being part of UAC it never interferes with them and therefore I can take that out of any diagnosis when I get bugs/issues.

As Oliver says, I really hope my explanation will be of use to others who come across this in the future.
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

shIxx wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:19 pm Now I installed BlueCFD directly in C: and set C:\blueCFD-Core-2017\OpenFOAM-5.x as install directory in FreeCAD.
This worked for me. I don't know why but cfdMesh and HISA is installed successfully now. Could this maby bacause I switchet from HDD to SSD?
I'm not an IT man so may this is stupid but could it be possible that somehow a few bits on the SSD are broken or something like that?
Thanks for the feedback. I'll add a note in the Readme. @Syres seems to have given us the answer, though it's strange that it only seems to affect a few people.
Offtopic: @oliveroxtoby:
I know that heat transfer is planed an I can't wait. Many thanks for this.
Is it also planned to implement a LES model? I think many people would be happy about that
At some point hopefully. If you're familiar with how to set it up in OpenFOAM, it would be pretty easy to extend the workbench.
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Syres wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:51 pm Just to make my standpoint clear, I detest Windows 10 with a passion (I spent 20 years in IT Support and Problem Management) thereby giving the reason for me using Windows 7. I am of the firm belief that the root cause of your original issue is User Access Control, which even if you are an Administrator and the specific user who carried out the initial installation, takes a higher security priority hence will not allow any process to change/delete in C:\Program Files or the x86 equivalent unless Microsoft have it on their 'list' or you have completely disabled UAC using a registry key which can be found through Google quite easily.

All my non-Microsoft products get installed in E:\My Progs\ or in the case of FreeCAD daily, E:\Data\My Downloads\ which I recommend to anyone locally who is interested in FreeCAD, Cura, Blender etc. Due to these folders not being part of UAC it never interferes with them and therefore I can take that out of any diagnosis when I get bugs/issues.

As Oliver says, I really hope my explanation will be of use to others who come across this in the future.
Ah, thank you! Thought it was something like this, but oddly it never came up in my own testing. I'll add a cautionary note to the Readme.