FEM material editor

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

bernd
Veteran

FEM material editor

Post by bernd »

The FreeCAD material editor has improved see git commit 195c530 and topic https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=28952 :D

It now supports units. On the long run editing materials should only be done in material editor. It is possible to start the material editor from FEM material task panel already. Would be cool if some of you could start to use the material editor, like I did some time ago and report any issues to the topic mentioned above.
HarryvL
Veteran

Re: FEM material editor

Post by HarryvL »

Is there any documentation for the editor? For example, is it possible to add material properties through an XML file (or similar) or would it involve breaking into the code and use of Qt designer?
HarryvL
Veteran

Post by HarryvL »

bernd wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:03 am ... On the long run editing materials should only be done in material editor.
could we make it "the short run" :D. I never managed to enter any values in the old material dialog (see: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p242626) and so far this ones works ok for me.

some initial comments:

1) when on a heading (e.g. Mechanical) it shows a button "Delete Property" greyed out. How do I activate this? I would love to delete or edit the description for one or two to customize what I want for concrete.
2) where do I store the FCMAT file? Is there a default directory, so I can find it in the future?

I will continue testing and report back.
HarryvL
Veteran

Post by HarryvL »

3) Opening "Document Material" crashes FreeCAD, but I can't reproduce the error.
4) Opening "Transient Material" or "Document Material" opens with Mechanical parameters for concrete. Why not neutral (E and Nu for example)
HarryvL
Veteran

Post by HarryvL »

5) The material card saves and opens ok. Also when saving and reopening a FC analysis, the material info is retained properly
6) However, why only option "save as" and not "save". Trying to save updates of material properties is only possible by using "save as"
7) The new/active material does not show up in the material dialog or Material Editor > Material Card box.