Navigation cluster, pointer mapping off register?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
garya

Navigation cluster, pointer mapping off register?

Post by garya »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.a14af0f
Build type: Release
Python version: 2.7.15
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: C/Default (C)

When I attempt to use the navigation cluster in the upper right corner, it frequently "stops working" because my mouse has shifted a little. The pointer is still over the relevant arrow, but clicks are not intercepted / interpreted. This can be identified before clicking because the highlight color (light blue) disappears when the pointer moves to an area where a click will not register. It is particularly noticeable on the curved rotation arrows at the top; but all items are off register. Is this a known issue?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Navigation cluster, pointer mapping off register?

Post by chrisb »

garya wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:28 am When I attempt to use the navigation cluster
Do you mean the navigation cube? It works perfect here:

Version: 0.18.15619 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 7d8e5662648b794b5c93e28835a2bf5c1fddffec
Python version: 2.7.12
Coin version: 4.0.0a
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

Your FreeCAD info shows a fancy version number, ist this an official 0.18 version or did you compile yourself?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I've found the arrows require the mouse pointer to really point to the inside of the arrow. Pointing on the perimeter doesn't work. I wish there would be a "fuzzy zone", maybe 2 or 3 pixels around the arrow where the mouse would still be detected.

But there's another bug for me, which may or may not have appeared after the switch from Qt4 to Qt5: The navigation cube is supposed to be movable with the mouse, but I can't move it.

Version: 0.18.15624 (Git)
Hash: d0d2a059411b13bbc941b1431b3c01e924990340
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.9.5
Locale: French/Canada (fr_CA)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It's still movable here on the Ubuntu version mentioned above. It is the latest from the PPA but still 5 commits behind yours.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Where do you pick to move it? On which corner is it located in your 3D view?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

To be clear: by movable, I mean that I could take the whole NaviCube widget and drag it to another location in the 3D view, for example from the top right corner to the bottom right corner, without going to the preferences.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I take it in the middle holding mouse down (to be precise: hold it with three fingers on the touch pad which is the equivalent) and drag it:
Attachments
naviCube.gif
naviCube.gif (54.87 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

NormandC wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:40 am But there's another bug for me, which may or may not have appeared after the switch from Qt4 to Qt5:
NormandC wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:53 am I mean that I could take the whole NaviCube widget and drag it to another location in the 3D view, for example from the top right corner to the bottom right corner, without going to the preferences.
I can drag to change the placement in the 3D view but we'll see what happens after I update... for now I'm using:

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.18.15521 (Git)
Hash: 6cdeab9c1469a41f24ae5e8fa9091c9bdfbb90db
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:21 am I take it in the middle holding mouse down
Doh! I tried everywhere around except clicking directly on the cube. :oops:

Ok, it's working for me.

Thanks!

Edit: we need to create a wiki page for it...
garya

Post by garya »

Your FreeCAD info shows a fancy version number, ist this an official 0.18 version or did you compile yourself?
It's one I built. The latest version available for fbsd is 0.17 and none of them are "official" builds.

Regarding move, the behavior I see is as follows:
If I have the axonometric view set, when I press on the middle of the navigation cube, it does not move until the pointer leaves the cube. So it appears to not be moveable unless you move the mouse a significant distance. There is an obvious circle in the middle of the cube, which is used to set one of several axonometric views depending on the current orientation of the object. If you are already looking at that axonometric view, the area appears to be non-functional. Similarly, if a single face is showing, the face appears to have no function, and I still need to drag to the edge of the cube to get it to move. This should not be necessary.

A clear distinction can usually be made in terms of intent when a user presses and drags, vs. clicks (presses and releases) a mouse button (Modulo some small delta to allow for shaky hands). That distinction is apparently not being used for navigation with the nav cube.

To be clear on the registration issue: If you place the pointer where it is in the image below, do you see a blue or a white background in the curved arrow under the pointer, and if you click does the 3D image rotate? In my case, the background is white, not blue, and the image does not rotate. Note that the pointer is well within the underlying arrow image; if it is moved lower the background will turn blue and it functions correctly. I can also get the various parts to highlight blue and function by moving the pointer near them (generally below), but not actually inside them.

Edit: we need to create a wiki page for it...
I was going to do that, but wanted to understand how it's supposed to work first.